Help: Pentair Superflo 1.5HP Siezed

Jun 17, 2010
Pump model: Pentair 1.5HP Superflo
Model Number (on volute sticker): 340039

I came home a couple days ago and the pool looked a little low so I went to check the pump when I turned it on it just hummed and would not pump water. I'm pretty sure that the inlets go clogged with leaves and the pump ran dry part of the day. So I think the seal is gone and will need to be replaced. I have it apart and I'm working to get the impeller off right now. If anyone has any advice for me I would appreciate it. The impeller locking screw is proving to be difficult. Is it a reverse threaded screw?

Thanks,

RTS

Qwaxalot said:
JookyDFW said:
Update: If I apply power and spin the impeller the motor will start spinning.

Change the motor start capacitor.

Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like you got the right issue. I found a 25uf (or 27UF) capacitor from an old 1HP pump motor, hooked it up, and the pump started up. I'm going to try and find the correct replacement because this other capacitor does not fit inside the housing. Will it hurt to use the capacitor with the lower UF rating (mine was 30UF) for a week until the new part arrives or would it be better to source one locally and get it switched out immediately.

JookyDFW said:
Qwaxalot said:
JookyDFW said:
Update: If I apply power and spin the impeller the motor will start spinning.

Change the motor start capacitor.

Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like you got the right issue. I found a 25uf (or 27UF) capacitor from an old 1HP pump motor, hooked it up, and the pump started up. I'm going to try and find the correct replacement because this other capacitor does not fit inside the housing. Will it hurt to use the capacitor with the lower UF rating (mine was 30UF) for a week until the new part arrives or would it be better to source one locally and get it switched out immediately.

It probably won't hurt, but your motor will be drawing slightly more current at start up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.