Intex Ultra Frame take down tips

rj2222

Jun 11, 2012
Michigan
Hi guys, thanks to your help, I setup an intex 14x48 ultra frame agp this year, on level ground too! :-D
I'm thinking it's about that time to take it down though, as temps at night are closer to 50 than 70. Anyone have any tips for the take-down or storage of the pool for the winter?
Thanks again everyone! I dont know where i'd be in the pool world without you guys :cheers:

I was also wondering what the best way to dismantle the post was. I think I am going to number them, since we were slightly unlevel in one spot this year. That way they'll hopefully fit together with ease next year.

I plan to make sure everything is completely dry before storing it away.art of the reason I want to start soon.

There is no need to number the posts. The biggest concern is getting the pool dry. I emptied my pool with the drain plug. When it drained as much as it could I lifted one leg and put a chair under it. I put a few chairs under different legs. I also hose down the ouside and bottom edge of the pool now. When I got as much water out as I could I removed all the legs. I then got in the pool and picked up the liner to force all of the water out of the drain hole. I used a cup for the last 1/2 gallon or so. I then let the pool sit in the sun for a while. I then removed all the pipes from around the rim and pulled the liner over onto the grass. I flipped it over and put chairs under it. I let it sit overnight . The next day I flipped the pool back over and let it sit in the sun for about an hour. I then took a couple of towels and got in the liner and moved it around and wiped any wet spots. Next fold up the pool and wipe it as you fold. I stuff my pool inside a clam shell cargo carrier.

Would it be bad to just lay the pool all rolled up on top of a table for the winter, and leave it in the garage?

Also, can I leave the filter outside in the garage all winter, or does that need to be stored indoors? I just have the filter that came with the pool.

I used a cheap sump pump to drain the water from the pool. Of course you are not going to get it all that way. Got the rest with a shop vac. Then left it empty and assembled on a sunny day. That dried out the inside. Turned it over and draped it over my deck for another sunny day. Then folded it up and put it away.

@rj That is perfectly fine. I actually think it's better than storing it in a box. Better air circulation. Does your garage get below freezing?

I don't think that it would matter if the garage is heated or not. The problem that people have had with storage is that mice like to eat at the pool for some reason. I have heard from people who had their pool in a deck box and mice ate holes in the pool.

Thanks for the answers. I do live in the midwest, so it gets pretty cold. I have had mice eat through bags of fertilizer/seed before too. Wonder what would be big enough to put the pool in, and mouse-proof...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1380ken said:
There is no need to number the posts. The biggest concern is getting the pool dry. I emptied my pool with the drain plug. When it drained as much as it could I lifted one leg and put a chair under it. I put a few chairs under different legs. I also hose down the ouside and bottom edge of the pool now. When I got as much water out as I could I removed all the legs. I then got in the pool and picked up the liner to force all of the water out of the drain hole. I used a cup for the last 1/2 gallon or so. I then let the pool sit in the sun for a while. I then removed all the pipes from around the rim and pulled the liner over onto the grass. I flipped it over and put chairs under it. I let it sit overnight . The next day I flipped the pool back over and let it sit in the sun for about an hour. I then took a couple of towels and got in the liner and moved it around and wiped any wet spots. Next fold up the pool and wipe it as you fold. I stuff my pool inside a clam shell cargo carrier.

The reasoning behind it was because there was a slight dip in 2 sections that sunk, but only about an inch to an inch and a half. We think it might be wise to keep those sections together in case they got slightly bent. They don't appear to be, but I don't want any surprises in the spring, when we put it back up. We might leave it up next year, since we are putting the foam down and building a deck.

Somewhere there was a post about using a Shop Vac to get the last inch or two of water out. Can't find the original post,but to whomever suggested it, a huge THANK YOU! Not only did it get the water out, it picked up most of the debris, leaving little to nothing to wipe up before drying and storing. Made it so we could leave the sides up and dry it well. Only downside was having to empty the vac tank every 10 gallons. My son operated the shop vac while I got in and push the rest of the water over. Would recommend this for others with the ultra frame pool.

I'm finally going to attempt to take the pool down. How did you guys do it? did you remove the legs first to lay it flat, then get in there with the shop vac and get the excess water out, then went around and removed the ring around the top piece by piece?

I emptied mine until it was below the drain plug. I then used the shop vac to empty the remaining water. (standing on the outside.) then I dried it thoroughly by getting inside. Then my husband and I worked together to take the frame apart. It was a little hard to get the first top piece off, after that not so bad. We would remove the leg, then the T, then the long piece, and so on.We were lucky, no rust. Was a little worried after seeing pics of bad rust after one year. I then folded the liner to about 4 feet tall, and rolled it up. I wrapped a little duct tape to keep it rolled up, and put it in the shed, with the poles and other pieces. The emptying and drying seemed to take much longer than the actual disassembly. (which was hurried alOng when we heard thunder, right after I had dried it!)

OK, so you went leg, T, long piece all the way around. Thanks. Wasn't sure what the best way to tackle that might be. Looks like we have rain coming in too so i want to try to get mine done before that starts.

rj2222 said:
I'm finally going to attempt to take the pool down. How did you guys do it? did you remove the legs first to lay it flat, then get in there with the shop vac and get the excess water out, then went around and removed the ring around the top piece by piece?

After researching how long the hose draining option would take, I used an extra sump pump we have to easily drain the pool over 8-10 hours vs. several days with the garden hose option. Research detailed the first half of the pool draining with a hose goes well, then the less pressure (with water weight removed from half the water out) really slows the remaining draining process. I took the suggestion from others to use the Shop Vac for the remaining water. THANKS!!! Taking down some of the legs and pushing water from the opposite side helps get the last bits of water out before using rags to get the last drops. One step I took when I first got the pool was to spray the legs with a rust proofing coating to help extend the life of the framing material. I was going with a salt water system from the beginning so I knew salt would be another corrosion factor. Bottom line, draining the pool is not a simple or quick process. Next year I will start earlier (warmer temps) and on a Saturday morning with plans to let the liner dry out completely overnight and then be put away Sunday afternoon. Also, talcum (corn starch mentioned above) powder should be used while folding and storing pool liner, solar blanket, covers to help eliminate any moisture.

My current challenge is what to do with the 4 inch deep 14' circle in my yard over the winter - separate post coming.

Drained mine, then the family emergencies started and it is still up, with two inches of water in it and a few leaves. Now it's too cold to finish, might just leave it up. Hubby keeps hinting we might get a permanent AGP next summer, not sure though, we may have to move in with his mother because of her health.

I may invest in a sump pump for next year. My wet/dry shop vac is kinda small, so it became annoying having to empty it multiple times. But how I did it was let it drain with the hose with adapter in the drain plug. Then I was able to take the legs, T's, and crossbars out so it was pretty much flat to the ground. I then went the shop vac route for a while, and at one point after a few rounds of emptying the shop vac just ended up lifting one side of the pool so water would go out the drain plug/hose again. At that point it wasn't 100% dry, but I folded it up and moved it into the garage since rain was coming, then unfolded it as much as I could to let it air dry and get the last few leaves & twigs out of there.
Hopefully I can find a new or used sump pump cheap somewhere before next year, as this would be the only thing i'd really ever use it for, and it would save a ton of hassle.

I live in the south and I never take my pool down. I simply drain the water level below the return spout and cover it with black plastic. I do add floaters with chlorine, then I tie the plastic down at every post to make sure the wind does not hurt it. I make sure the rain water is drained off by using a bilge pump on top of the plastic as needed. Don't worry about freezing temps, do not attempt to break up any ice or snow, the pool will expand and contract on its own to adjust for the cold weather, or it does in Arkansas. Remove your pump and close all valves to the pool, when you open it in the Spring, the water will be clear as a fish bowl.

Reactions: bumblingbee

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.