Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sprung a leak

1. Back To Top    #1

sprung a leak

We have developed a leak in the line that comes out of the pump into the filter. I am not sure what to use to repair it. Currently there is a large amount of a silicone product that has I guess broken down and in allowing the leak. Do I use more silicone or is there a better product to use? I want to get this fixed this weekend as it has gone from a few small "drops" to an all out steady leak when we are running the system.
    16x32 Grecian IG vinyl pool Hayward filter swg 28000 gallons.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: sprung a leak

It would help if you could be more specific about the leak - is it a threaded connection, glued connection, or the pipe itself? A picture would also help.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

3. Back To Top    #3

Usually it is best to just replace the pipe going from pump to filter in this type of situation. Find a spot where you can cut off the broken pipe, then glue in a barell connecter and new pipe (be sure to leave enough pipe for the glued sections to hold) and the same at the other end of the new pipe. At worst - start with the threaded connector coming out of the pump, and run all new to the threaded fitting on your filter. If you go this route, be sure to include a union fitting between the pump and filter.

This is presuming you have PVC pipe like I do.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

It is PVC and not sure due to the silicone "caulking" that is on there if it is threaded or glued. I am thinking glued as the next connection above this area is glued.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16x32 Grecian IG vinyl pool Hayward filter swg 28000 gallons.

5. Back To Top    #5

That is a threaded connection. You could try removing the old silicone caulk and re-caulk, but I doubt that would stop the leak. If there is a union downstream from the leak you can un-screw connection and re-apply teflon tape and calk to the threads. If there is no union cut the pipe far enough above the pump discharge nozzle to allow installation of a new thread X slip adapter and a union. Then glue everything back. That's not a big job and should take about 1/2 hour.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)