New owner: sand filter question

Burgie

Sep 14, 2012
Putnam Valley, NY
I just recently bought a home with a pool...not sure how long ago the sand was changed in the filter...this is my first pool and not sure how to change it if I have to...any websites out there to explain how to? Any help would be appreciated!! Not sure on so many things....

Welcome to the forum.

Sand seldom needs changing. You can generally pull the multiport or cap off the filter and look at the sand to see if there are issues.

Thanks for the reply!! Do I need to drain the water from the filter before I open it?? Im sorry for the question, but I really know nothing about this stuff..Thank you for your help...also, if I don't know if it has ever been changed should I change it or let it go and what would I look for if there is a problem??

I've been in my house 14 years and never changed the sand! My water is crystal clear! I will probably add some sand in the spring because you do lose a little when you back flush. I didn't ask the previous owners if they changed the sand, but going by the lack of upkeep on the rest of the house, I'm sure they didn't.
yjyvanyv.jpg

You'd need to inspect your multiport valve & gasket.
I'm pretty sure I have seen cases where the multiport valve can cause this, but it's actually more going to have to do with your laterals than anything else.
These keep the sand from going out the return.
This requires removal of all the sand, to gain access to the bottom of the sand filter and then inspecting the laterals for any damage, holes, etc... Inspect carefully and thoroughly.
Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes not.

It's advised to pull them out, one at a time and inspect them as well as any sort of plate that may be underneath.
Clean it out good, fill with about a foot of water, place a cap over the center pipe, hold it steady and keep it centered as you add the old sand back in, filling it up the rest of the way with water as you keep adding to the fill marks, min/max. May be a good time to just replace it if you want, but not necessary. You may need someone to help you with this.

As far as tending to the sand goes, I would do the following. This needs to be done 1x season.
Cleaning & Resettling the Sand Bed
Then, as long as you keep your chemistry in check, things will be okidoki with the sand.

What if I have sand coming back into the pool from the return lines by the steps?
1. Make certain it is sand. pick it up and visually identify it.

2. If it is, check the multi-port gasket for damage and make sure your multiport selector handle is seating properly.

3. Last, remove sand and inspect laterals.... probably 20 times as hard as the first two steps so don't undertake it lightly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.