Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Bags ... Water Blocks

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Bags ... Water Blocks

Inground pool, buried radiant metric, last year I just used a bunch of empty milk bottles for the mesh cover, this year I am looking at water bags or blocks, any thoughts, I read where the bags don't last that long.
    24' x 52" round Radiant Metric GT, Fully Buried.

2. Back To Top    #2
    South of Boston

Re: Water Bags ... Water Blocks

i picked up bunch of 2" PVC pipes, filled them with concrete and capped them at the ends. then I used 90 degree elbows to connect them around my pool. worked pretty good last year. the only downside is these suckers are pretty heavy, about 40lbs each.
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

3. Back To Top    #3

Philadelphia, PA

Re: Water Bags ... Water Blocks

The reason for using water bags/blocks is safety. If someone fell in the pool when it is covered, they could pull the weights holding the cover down into the pool as they grab the cover struggling to climb out. A weight would sink to the bottom, possibly dragging the cover and person with them. Not good.

A water bag/bottle/block would not sink in water giving someone a chance to climb out, or even just keep their head above water, even if wrapped in the cover.

Don't use weights, bricks, cinder blocks, etc. to hold down a cover. Something filled with water is much safer.
    11x27 in ground, vinyl pool
    ~12,500 gal
    PAC FAB (Pentair) Pinnacle 3/4 hp pump
    Pentair 24 sq ft DE filter
    One skimmer, one return (no main drain)