Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: IG Pool Safety Covers

1. Back To Top    #1

IG Pool Safety Covers

I'm looking to have a pool cover installed and the best price was on a Anchor Industries mesh cover.

Has anyone heard of them? Are these good covers?

Also, for a yard with lots of trees would the solid cover be better than a mesh?

Thanks,

Jim
    ____________________________________________________________ _____
    IG 25,000 gallon concrete painted pool,
    KDI American Products Model# 583090 Titan SS Vertical Grid 48sq ft DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: IG Pool Safety Covers

I have lots of trees & must use a solid safety cover. The mesh I am told would allow my pool to turn green before I open in March.
    16k 17X33 IG Vinyl(2000), Pentair Intellifo Variable Speed Pump(2006), Hayward Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG w/T9 cell(repl 7/2011), Hayward Natl Gas Heater, TF100 w/magnetic stirrer

3. Back To Top    #3

From what I understand the good mesh covers can keep out most of the light and dirt
    ____________________________________________________________ _____
    IG 25,000 gallon concrete painted pool,
    KDI American Products Model# 583090 Titan SS Vertical Grid 48sq ft DE filter

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by silversteed
    From what I understand the good mesh covers can keep out most of the light and dirt
    Very true, the operative word here is "good". Dense mesh covers are usually more costly, but, in my opinion, worth it.
    From personal experience, I know that Loop Loc, Merlin, and Meyco make these kinds of covers. There may be others.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I use to sell only solid covers. They came out with the ultra mesh covers sold 3 of them and wished I would of stayed with solid covers. If you have clear water when you put a solid cover on in the fall, usually it will be clear in the spring. The only times I see it not be clear is when the owner waits to long in the spring to open. Then it is cloudy but not green.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot
    Very true, the operative word here is "good". Dense mesh covers are usually more costly, but, in my opinion, worth it.
    From personal experience, I know that Loop Loc, Merlin, and Meyco make these kinds of covers. There may be others.
    I've seen the elephant on the Loop Loc. Pretty impressive. I wonder if it's truly better than the others. I'm mostly interested in durability, but safety is certainly a great plus. I just want to be really confident that if I fork out this kind of money for a cover, it's going to really last.
    ~18,000 gal (16x32)
    Hayward sand filter
    Circupool RJ45 SWG
    Hayward Max-Flo XL SP2305X7 pump (0.75 HP)

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the loop loc mesh cover. Had it now for 7 years. Its a good cover as far as safety goes but I would recommend a solid cover. My pool is a swamp every year i open. This year I am going to purchase a cheap solid cover to put over the mesh. See what happens next year. I also plan to close late (oct) and open early in april.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a 10+ yr old Merlin safety mesh cover that is still in remarkable shape. The section over the spa that was designed to be peeled back in the winter looks a bit worn now but the quality of the construction is fantastic. I have several very mature trees surrounding my pool and the mesh does fine. Silt will get through plus stuff will get under the edges but I leave my polaris in year round plus keep my pool balanced even during the winter. I open a crystal clear pool in the spring that just requires a quick vacuuming.

The one thing I wish my cover had was a window I could open to pour in chemicals without having to pop a few of the springs off to get access. Minor thing.
    18,000gal IG with FG finish + spa, Pentair CCP 420 filter, Pentair VS pump, Hayward AQR15 SWCG, Polaris 360, 325k BTU heater...