Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: why are pool companies talking me out of salt?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why am I getting talked out of salt???

I am in the process of planning my first pool. I have decided on a SWCG but it seems every pool builder I talk with tries to talk me out of it. They push the automated system with pucks. I don't like the pucks adding chlorine and stabilizers all in one. I will put in the chemicals that are needed, when they are needed.

The only reason I can think of why the pool builders are talking me out if salt is because they don't want warranty claims from people who don't manage their pool properly. Can anyone else think of any reasons to stay away from salt or are they just full of it?

Thanks,

Mike
    PLANNING: 16k gallon 31'x17' free form with 12" raised spa w/16 jets, depth 3.5 x 6 x 4, pebble finish, 5 returns, 2 skimmers, Jandy 60 DE, Intelliflo SVRS, AquaPure SWCG, Jandy PDA PS8 Controller, Jandy Actuator, iAquaLink, Jandy LRZ400 Gas Heater, Polaris 280 w/booster pump, 2 Jandy LED pool light, 1 Jandy LED Spa light, Letro Autofill, Rainbow 320 chlorinator, turbo twist slide, extra bbq gas hookup, hose bibs, sprinkler reroute, 3 Jandy Deckjets, Oklahoma stone spa facing and coping, 3 tier spa face, 625 sq ft aggregate decking, 3 pool benches

2. Back To Top    #2

why are pool companies talking me out of salt?

I am planning a pool and want a SWCG but all of the pool companies I meet with try to talk me out of it. Is there a reason why? Why would they do this?
    PLANNING: 16k gallon 31'x17' free form with 12" raised spa w/16 jets, depth 3.5 x 6 x 4, pebble finish, 5 returns, 2 skimmers, Jandy 60 DE, Intelliflo SVRS, AquaPure SWCG, Jandy PDA PS8 Controller, Jandy Actuator, iAquaLink, Jandy LRZ400 Gas Heater, Polaris 280 w/booster pump, 2 Jandy LED pool light, 1 Jandy LED Spa light, Letro Autofill, Rainbow 320 chlorinator, turbo twist slide, extra bbq gas hookup, hose bibs, sprinkler reroute, 3 Jandy Deckjets, Oklahoma stone spa facing and coping, 3 tier spa face, 625 sq ft aggregate decking, 3 pool benches

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: why are pool companies talking me out of salt?

Mine was all about regular chlorine, i'm sure it was all about budget on my build. Mark up must not be that high to sell, sell sell!
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Perhaps they think if you have a SWG there is little chance to sell you weekly maintenance.

Another potential reason is that some materials they may like to sell are not good with SWG.

- Sent using Tapatalk
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

SWCGs seem to be sort of regional. There are areas where you see more salt pools than others. I have yet to figure out why this is but I suspect that when it comes down to certain natural stone types that are in use in a particular region and whether or not the stone "likes" to be in a more saline environment. Another reason is that maybe the profit margin for SWCGs just doesn't pay very well for the builder. Again though, I'm guessing at all of this.

6. Back To Top    #6

maybe because they get a better deal out of selling pucks than SWCG?

7. Back To Top    #7

Maybe they've been talking to my h., who also will not allow a swg in this house. He doesn't manage the pool; we've only been here a year, and he did start out life as an engineer, so he should be able to get his head around it.

However, I've started thinking about this attitude and realize that in our area (Michigan) salt in general had a bit of a "reputation." due to its overuse in the winter. Eg. salt eats your car, salt kills your shrubs, municipalities try to get away from using salt due to runoff in freshwater and general corrosiveness. So although we're talking about a different order of magnitude, maybe those attitudes carry over about salt.

Apart from potential corrosiveness, his second objection is that the ROI is not solid, meaning in his mind, whatever convenience we gain by having the chlorine automatically added to the water can be offset pretty quickly if we have to tinker with the generator, replace parts, figure out why it's not outputting correctly, etc.

I haven't pushed the point, because I agree that automation isn't always liberation and I don't mind the few minutes I spend each morning testing and dosing the pool. Nothing meets the needs of pool chemistry better than a human if in fact the human is committed to reliable performance

If we travelled a lot for work the way I used to, however, I'd push the point harder and hopefully get my way!

Perhaps builders in some areas have the same 'fear of salt' in terms of it's corrosive properties and 'fear of user' in that folks won't properly maintain optimal conditions for the swg, like adding acid, which left unchecked, could net additional problems.

You might be happier finding a vendor who will support you wish to go swg, because they'll be more cognizant in optimizing materials and design.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

8. Back To Top    #8

I think they are pushing customers away from salt because they used to push to install it a few years back but found that they had a lot of warranty calls for equipment repairs and rock replacement because the homeowners do not keep up their pools. Some companies make you sign a warranty waiver if you force them to install salt.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I would guess the distributors of the chlorine products they sell discourage SWGs.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl
    I would guess the distributors of the chlorine products they sell discourage SWGs.
    That would only be true for pool builders associated with a retail store selling chlorine, but for independent pool builders they don't sell chemicals (except what is used during their initial startup) and there are different companies/people who are service techs that use chemicals or who are in retail selling chemicals.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

All of Our local PB's all have retail stores along with the pool sales. Easy to forget its not always that way, lol.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Well, let's look at the things that are affected by salt.
    Temperature.... SWG typically does not even run when temps are low. Where in the world are you mmcaleer?
    Metal equipment.... heaters and such must be rated for salt use. Typically but not necessarily more expensive. May be a budget issue.
    Rock and stone work .... some types of stones are prone to decay when salt crystals form, depends on the stone and the weather. Any stone in your plan?
    Local chemistry.... if your area has very high calcium you may be more prone to scaling with a SWG. Again, where are you located?
    Sizing ... your pool may be in between sizes, where one is too small, the other too big, and budget issues may drive you to the wrong one.

I've read that overall, the SWG does not save money, only time. The cost differential simply moves the costs to the 3 to 5 year annual replacement of the cell. Plus, with local chemisty, you may do nearly as much testing to control pH as you did to monitor FC.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

13. Back To Top    #13

Sorry all. I am in Dallas, Tx. Most of the builders I have spoken with do have retail stores or sell services and chemicals. As far as stone goes, we do have Oklahoma flagstone as the coping.

Mike

14. Back To Top    #14

Mine just got finished on north side of Houston and I pretty much couldn't get a builder to use SWG either, and warranty same as reg chlorine. Went with chlorine and way happier than expected to be with water feel.
    18k gal IG pebble tech, 60ft DE filter, 1.5hp Intelliflo VSD, 1.5hp Whisperflow, 2hp Whisperflow, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, EZ Touch 8, 2hp silencer blower, Mastertemp 400 heater