Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noodle Purpose

1. Back To Top    #1

Noodle Purpose

Hello - I'm confident that I am missing the boat on the closing pool school post. What is the purpose of the torn up noodle, and how is it placed within the skimmer?

Thanks!
    17'x36' Freeform (Omni/Gemini shape) Polymer Vinyl Liner Pool; Made by Hydra Pools; 6' Water Depth; Cantilever Concrete Stamped Coping; 8' Radius White Step; 8' White Cozy Cove with 6 Jets; 1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflow 2-Speed Pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 Cartridge Filter; Kreepy Krauly Legend Pool Sweep; 2 Skimmers; 4 Returns; 2" Rigid PVC; Pentair 5G LED Light; Pacific Ultra Mesh Safety Cover; Pentair Intellichlor IC 40; 3 Deck Jets

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Noodle Purpose

The purpose of foam, or a plastic Gizzmo, is to reduce the amount of water in the skimmer, and therefore the amount of potential expanding ice. Expanding ice can crack a skimmer. A lot depends on how cold it gets in your region. Some places don't need any protection, while others need as much as possible.

3. Back To Top    #3

If the water in your skimmer freezes it will squish the foam of the torn up noodle instead of expanding and cracking your skimmer. You just tear it up and put it in the skimmer. No special trick to it.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, the theory behind the noodle is well covered. So I would just would like to add that by "torn up" does not mean creating any pieces small enough to possibly drop into or get sucked into (especially if some water is present) the plumbing.
    16x38 L shaped, 26,000 inground with Pentair FNSP 36 and Centurion pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Good point, you don't want to tear it too small. Noodle in the impeller could be an unfortunate incident.