Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing my pool - Can there be too much Chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing my pool - Can there be too much Chlorine?

I am following the closing instructions listed on the site. I am bringing my chlorine level up to shock level and will then let it come down about 1/2 way. My questions is ..... is there any danger in adding more chlorine after draining the water down? Can there be too much chlorine when closing?

Thanks,
    Rich
    18x36 IG 26,000 gal, Vinyl Liner, 24" Sand filter Hayward S224T, Jandy AE3000 heatpump and 1.5 HP SuperPump. Circupool RJ45 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing my pool - Can there be too much Chlorine?

Here are my current numbers:

FC: 28 After shocking
    CC: 0
    TC: 28
    PH: 7.6
    TA:90
    CYA: 85

I will be draining and closing the pool Saturday. I feel like I should add more chlorine after the drain, to have in their for the winter.
    18x36 IG 26,000 gal, Vinyl Liner, 24" Sand filter Hayward S224T, Jandy AE3000 heatpump and 1.5 HP SuperPump. Circupool RJ45 SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Closing my pool - Can there be too much Chlorine?

Just having it at shock level is good enough. If you think about it, raising it to shock level and then draining water out leaves the remaining water at shock level. You've reduced the chlorine but you've also reduced the water so the ratio stays the same.

You could raise it a couple of ppm higher than shock to compensate for the sun burning it off while you're in the process of draining and closing but I wouldn't go much higher than that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit