Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Hayward H400IDL won't fire up!

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Hayward H400IDL won't fire up!

    hi everyone!

    new to the forum, had some issues with my hayward h400idl and a quick google search took me here. we've had a hayward h400idl for about 8 years now, and this summer it stopped working.

    after inspecting the unit, i discovered that the ignitor was broken (the end had somehow broken off inside the heater). i figured that was the problem, but after replacing it, the burners still won't fire up. what happens is i'll start up the heater, the pilot light will come on (i can see the orange glow through the small glass hole), and then i can hear the machine click on and i can smell the natural gas begin to flow. after a couple of seconds the machine clicks off, the gas smell dissipates, and the pilot light turns off (orange glow disappears). this cycle happens three times i believe, and then i get the "IF" ignition failure code on my front panel.

    it was suggested that my flame sensor may be the problem, so i took it out and cleaned it with some emery cloth. when i put it back in, same issue: no ignition. i ordered a replacement flame sensor off amazon which came today, put it in, and still no ignition.

    any help/suggestions would be great.

    thanks!

  2. Back To Top    #2

    In the Industry

    ps0303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    3,435

    Re: Hayward H400IDL won't fire up!

    The ignitor could be the issue. FYI, cleaning the old one really doesn't always work. In fact the vast majority of the time is makes it worse. Do you have the manual for your unit? If you do there should be a chart of all error codes and what the issues are to look at. Here is a link to a PDF of the manual, https://www.parts4heating.com/v/vspfile ... wNOxID.pdf. Good luck.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

  3. Back To Top    #3

    In the Industry
    Qwaxalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    439

    Re: Hayward H400IDL won't fire up!

    When you have it apart again, take a close look at the burners, especially the one nearest the igniter. You're looking for rusty or partially clogged apertures. Also make sure the orifice for each burner is clear.

    Oh yes, if you must clean the flame sensor, use something like a dollar bill, emery cloth is much to coarse.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Re: Hayward H400IDL won't fire up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot
    When you have it apart again, take a close look at the burners, especially the one nearest the igniter. You're looking for rusty or partially clogged apertures. Also make sure the orifice for each burner is clear.

    Oh yes, if you must clean the flame sensor, use something like a dollar bill, emery cloth is much to coarse.
    thanks for the reply. i took a look at all the burners, and the system is very clean and seems to be free of any kind of buildup. i was going to take it apart to make sure, but after shining a flashlight on all the burners it doesn't seem necessary. any other ideas?

  5. Back To Top    #5

    In the Industry
    Qwaxalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    439

    Re: Hayward H400IDL won't fire up!

    Quote Originally Posted by wowsza
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot
    When you have it apart again, take a close look at the burners, especially the one nearest the igniter. You're looking for rusty or partially clogged apertures. Also make sure the orifice for each burner is clear.

    Oh yes, if you must clean the flame sensor, use something like a dollar bill, emery cloth is much to coarse.
    thanks for the reply. i took a look at all the burners, and the system is very clean and seems to be free of any kind of buildup. i was going to take it apart to make sure, but after shining a flashlight on all the burners it doesn't seem necessary. any other ideas?
    Not super familiar with the Hayward unit, however I've seen issues where the Ignition control is not sending enough voltage to the igniter (hence it doesn't get hot enough).

    Are there fuses on the wires going to the igniter?

    If you feel competent you can probably get a trouble shooting manual from Hayward's website, and whip out your multi-meter.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Re: Hayward H400IDL won't fire up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot
    Quote Originally Posted by wowsza
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot
    When you have it apart again, take a close look at the burners, especially the one nearest the igniter. You're looking for rusty or partially clogged apertures. Also make sure the orifice for each burner is clear.

    Oh yes, if you must clean the flame sensor, use something like a dollar bill, emery cloth is much to coarse.
    thanks for the reply. i took a look at all the burners, and the system is very clean and seems to be free of any kind of buildup. i was going to take it apart to make sure, but after shining a flashlight on all the burners it doesn't seem necessary. any other ideas?
    Not super familiar with the Hayward unit, however I've seen issues where the Ignition control is not sending enough voltage to the igniter (hence it doesn't get hot enough).

    Are there fuses on the wires going to the igniter?

    If you feel competent you can probably get a trouble shooting manual from Hayward's website, and whip out your multi-meter.
    there don't appear to be any fuses going to the igniter, but if it is able to light the pilot wouldn't it be able to fire up the burners?

  7. Back To Top    #7

    In the Industry
    Qwaxalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    439

    Re: Hayward H400IDL won't fire up!

    It's not a pilot, the hot surface igniter is supposed to get hot enough to ignite the gas, then the flame sensor tells the controller that all is good in the world.
    You need to check (and clean) all the associated connections for the igniter and the flame sensor. But really, the right way to do this is with a voltmeter.
    If the voltage to the igniter is too low, it'll glow, but won't get hot enough to ignite the gas, hence the three strikes and you're locked out.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Re: Hayward H400IDL won't fire up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot
    It's not a pilot, the hot surface igniter is supposed to get hot enough to ignite the gas, then the flame sensor tells the controller that all is good in the world.
    You need to check (and clean) all the associated connections for the igniter and the flame sensor. But really, the right way to do this is with a voltmeter.
    If the voltage to the igniter is too low, it'll glow, but won't get hot enough to ignite the gas, hence the three strikes and you're locked out.
    gotcha. so the orange glow seen through the glass is not a pilot light, but rather the ignitor heating up?

  9. Back To Top    #9

    In the Industry
    Qwaxalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    439

    Re: Hayward H400IDL won't fire up!

    Quote Originally Posted by wowsza
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot
    It's not a pilot, the hot surface igniter is supposed to get hot enough to ignite the gas, then the flame sensor tells the controller that all is good in the world.
    You need to check (and clean) all the associated connections for the igniter and the flame sensor. But really, the right way to do this is with a voltmeter.
    If the voltage to the igniter is too low, it'll glow, but won't get hot enough to ignite the gas, hence the three strikes and you're locked out.
    gotcha. so the orange glow seen through the glass is not a pilot light, but rather the ignitor heating up?
    Yep, unless the Hayward website lies.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •