Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dark liners

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Dark liners

I understand that a darker liner helps keep the pool warmer longer. Was very curious if it is harder to visibly discern the start of algae on the dark blue background? My neighbor got a dark liner and that was my first thought when I saw it! (It looks nice,though.)
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dark liners

I'm a season or two from needing a new liner. Current liner is light. I also wonder if you can see blue vs green easily. Or most important, can you see creatures on the bottom?
    16k 17X33 IG Vinyl(2000), Pentair Intellifo Variable Speed Pump(2006), Hayward Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG w/T9 cell(repl 7/2011), Hayward Natl Gas Heater, TF100 w/magnetic stirrer

3. Back To Top    #3

My liner is fairly dark and the pattern looks like rocks around the top 1/4 of the side and tiny pea gravel the other 3/4 of the side and bottom. Thanks to BBB I have a sparkling pool and can see every tiny thing that is in it. You'd think the dark color and all those "rocks" would mask things but it doesn't. I bet it would be more difficult if the water was cloudy or murky but I haven't run into that problem and that would effect visibility with any color liner. I can't say about making it warmer cuz I'm in Texas so it's really warm anyway plus I use a solar cover. But I love the dark color and pattern.
    Just bought a new house in the country, no pool yet. :(
    Hot tub..500 gals..bromine
    TF100 test kit and speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Thanks. I was just curious. I have a feeling I'll be helping them next summer.......
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Mine is dark blue. Once you have looked at it for awhile and get used to the way it looks with its pattern you will find it easy to discern the difference. What you will see is not the algae but the breakup of the usual pattern.

18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator