Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suggestions on Placement of Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Suggestions on Placement of Pool

Hey everyone,

I need your suggestions on where to put my pool. I'm going with a rectangle 16 x 32 vinyl pool. Construction starts next week. I'm starting to have second thought of where I want it. Originally I was going to put it parallel with the house about 20' out (picture 1) and have paver stone decking up to the house. It is a low spot but in 10 years of living here there's very little water that collects there from snow melt in the spring. The rest of the year it is bone dry. I am starting to think if there is ever a bad year with a lot of snow melt water my accumulate in that area. Now I'm starting to reconsider on putting it on the other side of the maple tree on the higher ground (picture 2). I feel if I put it out there it would be in the middle of nowhere and further from the house. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Note:
    The garden is being taken out and the tree is being moved
    Pictures were taken from my deck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15K, 16x32 IG vinyl, Jandy 1 Hp Pump, Jandy sand filter, Zodiac Salt System, 266 Raypak Digital Heater N/G, 2 LED Aqualamps, Clear Deck Solar Roller, 2 12" Sheer Descent waterfalls, K-2006 w/ Speedstir.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Suggestions on Placement of Pool

If it were me, I'd go with the original plan. You can always put in a drainage system to keep any potential problems at bay.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Genrally you are going to see the pool raised up so the top of the coping is about 4" above anyplace on the ground that is near the pool. That can cause you to have a step up from the house to the pool if one end of the yard is higher than the other. The higher spot looks like the pool would be installed deeper in the ground. Hard to tell for sure from pictures.

I heartily recommend at least leaving room for a shed/cabana for shade and a bathroom at poolside in the future. Even if you don't go forward with it, allow for it. Wet kids traipsing through the house to use the bathroom is not good, and when you aren't swimming it is hot sitting around the pool with no shade.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you like to swim with a little shade or swim and float with lots of sun? Then consider the orientation of the pool with the sun's east to west path. This will determine the ideal location. Any concerns with run-offs can be taken care of by drainage install.
    16x34 17,000 gal IG gunite blue granite pebble sheen 420 sq ft pentair cartridge, intelliflow SVRS, easy touch 8, 5G led, moss boulder waterfall, http://www.troublefreepool.com/build...fw-t31285.html

5. Back To Top    #5

That looks like a very small difference in elevation. I would expect - but I could be wrong - that when they dig out the dirt they can add to the area around the hole making the elevation equal or higher than the alternate location should this be desired.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Hey guys,

Thanks for your input. I ended putting the pool where I originally was thinking. Once the pool is done there will be enough slope for any water to get away from the pool and decking area.

Thanks again.
    15K, 16x32 IG vinyl, Jandy 1 Hp Pump, Jandy sand filter, Zodiac Salt System, 266 Raypak Digital Heater N/G, 2 LED Aqualamps, Clear Deck Solar Roller, 2 12" Sheer Descent waterfalls, K-2006 w/ Speedstir.

7. Back To Top    #7

Here's what it looks like now. Thanks again for your input!

Cheers!

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks like a nice, clean install. Congrats! I'll bet you're enjoying it!
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

9. Back To Top    #9

Very nice!
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat