Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: help me pick the right pump

1. Back To Top    #1

help me pick the right pump

I have been looking at lots of sand filters. Is there a differance between an Intex Krystal Clear 2650 sand filter verses Intex 2650 sand filter that is not a "Krystal Clear"
    I have a 18 x 9 Intex Ultra Frame and will be putting it up for the first time next spring. I have been advised to replace the filter and have decided to go with a sand filter. Amazon has the Intex 14in Krystal Clear on sale as well as the Intex Krystal Clear 2650 for $45 more and the Intex 2650 for $30 more. What would be the best one to buy for my pool that has 4500 gallons?
    I just bought a Intex saltwater system from Target for $99! Can't wait to use it next summer.
    Temporary above ground, 4500 gal,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: help me pick the right pump

Your post confused me. Title mentions a pump, but then your post only discusses filters. Pumps and Filters are 2 different pieces of equipment (although for the smaller above ground pools, they are sold in sets).

I am not too familiar with these setups, but do know the small Intex pump is almost worthless as far as actually moving any water. I think the 2650 (GPH) is the larger pump, and in general a larger sand filter is better. No idea what the difference between the KC setup and the non-KC ... I suspect nothing.

Looking at the intex site, the 14" seems to come with a smaller pump ... so would recommend going with the 16" with the 2650 pump.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong (or at least validate my suggestion).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would definitely go with the larger system if you are going with intex equipment. Though if it were me I would take a look at the Pentair pump/filter combo units, those are a lot better in my experience.

4. Back To Top    #4

Also as far as I am aware the Krystal Clear is the intex salt water system so you may be looking at a combo salt system and filter when you look at Krystal Clear stuff. I could be wrong though.

5. Back To Top    #5

I guess I have more research to do. I am not really familar with sand filters and or pumps. Thanks for the inforation I will be looking at other brands and I think I will go to a local pool store to get more information.
    Thanks again

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by rozy
    I guess I have more research to do. I am not really familar with sand filters and or pumps. Thanks for the inforation I will be looking at other brands and I think I will go to a local pool store to get more information.
    Thanks again
    Just take notes and come back here to bounce what they say off another few ears.

- Sent using Tapatalk
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, That is a good idea!