Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Persistent Foaming

1. Back To Top    #1

Persistent Foaming

I am using the BBB water method for our 550 gallon spa.
    Our water has been perfect for the last couple of months.
    My daughter had a spa party a couple of days ago and now we seem to be plagued with foam each time we turn the jets on. I’m sure they brought lotion, soap and perfume into our spa water…... they are girls. I was hoping that the foam would dissipate over time and we really want to resist adding any other chemicals beyond “BBB” into our spa.
    Our water chemistry this morning was:

FC = 3
    PH = 7.9
    TA = 55
    CYA = 30
    CH = 155
    Borates = 50
    Temperature = 99

I would also add that this morning the water is not as clear as we have normally had.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Persistent Foaming

I am guessing you are correct in the source of the foam. It will eventually break down. Is there any chance you did not use pain bleach as some of the additives can cause foam as well?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

We use unscented 6% Clorox bleach.

We do have something called "Sap-Perfect" which was sold to us with many other spa store chemicals to get our new spa up and running a few months ago. Spa-Perfect is a product which breaks down body oils, lotions and soaps allowing the spa filter to remove them from the water. We have none of this product in our water today (only BBB). and we are trying to resist dumping any un-needed chemicals into our spa water if we can avoid it.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Elevate your FC to around 10-12ppm and then let it slowly return to normal on it's own. I think that will solve the issue.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

If the chemical is organic and tends to float on the surface, then using a scum ball might help. If none of these suggestions work, then the Spa Perfect enzymes you used to use could work. Usually, though, foam will eventually dissipate so long as you aren't adding more soap/surfactants to the water.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

I increased my FC to 10 ppm and thoroughly clean my spa filter yesterday (it was defiantly needing a cleaning).

This morning I can report that the foaming has stopped and my water quality is back to clean and clear!

Thanks for the help.

7. Back To Top    #7

Gotta hose those girls off before they get in

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!