Manual 3-way valves for spillover sharing filter and heater

wpbucher

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 7, 2012
South-Central Pennsylvania
The current planned configuration is:
Pool and spillover spa share a filter and a heater.
Spa is an Imperial WhiteWave spa. This spa has one pipe in and one pipe out.
I'm not impressed with the Hayward ProLogic system.
The PB said that there would be basically two modes:
1. Pool Mode: Filtration where the 3-way valve on both the drains and returns allow a little bit of flow to/from the spa. A bit more from the return so that the spa does spillover to get rid of surface debris. A bit from the drains in the spa to get rid of any dirt on the spa floor.
2. Spa Mode: Water from heater goes to/from only the spa.

The PB claims the position of the 3-way must be precise (so as not to drain the spa). This necessitates the use of actuators and that necessitates the use of a control system.

Problem: I don't want a control system.

I found the Pentair FullFloFX valve. It has stop pins, would they work? I don't think the valve needs to be "super precise". I can have much more flow in the return than the drain because the extra water will spillover. This is not a problem. The problem is the potential for draining the spa.

I'm looking for a way to turn a 3-way valve so that I can completely close the branch to the pool (normal operation), but I cannot completely close the branch to the spa.

Or....Is there another way to solve this problem with the constraint that the filter and heater are shared?

Re: Manual 3-way valves for spillover sharing filter and hea

All you need to do is put Tees in and have a smaller diameter bypass from pool to spa with a manual shutoff. Even in pool mode, some water will go to the spa. Unless you want to run just the spa, in which case you can close it.

If you want manual control - which is what I have - two 3 way valves work fine. I can draw or return from either pool or spa or adjust the flow on either. A check valve will keep the water from siphoning through the spa returns to the pool return. My spa is not elevated, so I don't care if the water level equalizes when the pump is off.

I have a raised spa, and yes it would drain if the valves weren't set right. However, it was never really an issue to set manually. There is a check valve that I'm guessing should have prevented it from draining. But I definitely don't think automation is a necessity. Sounds like the PB is trying to get some more cash out of you. Automation is nice though!!!

I never thought of a bypass line. The spa is 450 gallons. What size pipe should I spec for the bypass line? I was thinking 1/2" for the return and 3/8" for the drain....to cause some spillover.

I'm thinking that I should keep the bypass lines as small as possible ... but still provide adequate filtration to the spa.
My reason for keeping the pipe as small as possible is the addition of two more valves for spa mode.
With smaller pipe, closing the bypass lines would be optional.
Yes, some hot water would leak out during spa mode...but it would be a small percentage of the water going to/from the spa.
This is not optimal...but it is an option.

I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible, so the less valves that need to be turned the better.

The pool will be 28K. I don't know if that matters for the pipe sizing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.