Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: losing lots of water :(

1. Back To Top    #1

losing lots of water :(

The water level has dropped from just below the top of the skimmer to just above the bottom in less than two weeks (I remember having to drain the pool after heavy rainfall early last week). The skimmer is now acting like a toilet bowl when the filter is on. The water drains completely out of the skimmer then comes back up a few seconds later, only for the process to repeat. I don't know if this is a function of the low water or fi there is something wrong with the pump. The pump basket is bubbling like what you see when you would boil water and the pressure guage is fluctuating from 10-20.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I am going to leave the filter off for the next few days to see if that stops the water level from going down anymore. I scheduled to have my pool closed for this Monday before I noticed the drop so I am worried that if there is a hole in the liner that it will drain without me knowing in.
    ~30,000 Gallon Free Form Pool; IG; Vinyl; DE Filter; Installed 2005

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: losing lots of water :(

The low water is what is making it act "like a toilet bowl" . I'd add some water if you want to run your filter/pump. If you have lost that much water, it sounds like you could have a leak somewhere.
    Mona SE MN
    24' round 48" high AG
    Meteor Sand Filter
    1.5 HP pump

3. Back To Top    #3

That sounds like a leak, unless you drain the pool too far after the storms we had last week. As mona stated, the low water level is what's causing your skimmer to suck air. The water level should be roughly around 2/3 way up the skimmer. You should confirm if you have a leak or not and hopefully fix it before closing the pool for the season.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. I'll see if I notice any substantial water loss with the filter off the next few days.
    ~30,000 Gallon Free Form Pool; IG; Vinyl; DE Filter; Installed 2005