Hayward Navigator Circles

Sep 11, 2012
My Hayward Navigator only turns right. The pods are tight, feet are new, so are the A frames. But I can't get to the gear box to check it for hair and other debris. How do I remove the white "lid" from the blue body? There are two tabs visible on the front, but they bend and almost break, without seeming to help separate the thing. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I'm not sure if you're talking about removing the gearbox or opening it up. To remove, you should be able to just pull it off with very little force once you have everything else taken about apart. I don't recall there being any type of fastener that secures the gearbox. It is just held in place by the middle section of the navigator where the turbine is located.

There are two holes in the gearbox. If you blow into the small hole, you should hear a whirring sound that indicates the gearbox is working. To open it, just keep prying it apart with your fingers. There's nothing securing the two halves together. Inside, there are just a series of plastic gears mounted on two pins.

I am having the same problem. I just replaced all the internals about 3 weeks ago, so the gearbox is brand new, but it was still only turning in one direction. I just took it apart an hour ago to check for jams. Nothing was happening when I blew in the hole, so I disassembled the gearbox. I didn't see any visible jams, but it seems to work okay after I put it back together. Now my Navigator appears to be working normally. I'll just have to see how long that lasts.

Re: Hayward Navigator going in circles

Peter, what was the long term outcome? Did it continue to work properly or did it return to going in circles?

I've got an older Hayward Aquadroid (which is very similar on the inside) and in the last year I've replaced everything except the body/shell - it's been doing the circle thing for a long time now but I've been too lazy/busy to deal with it (also over the winter it wasn't that much of an issue for me). Again, essentially it's brand new except the shell as I've literally replaced ALL the other parts. Feet are good, springs in feet are good, wings are good, pods are good, action is good, impellor is clear, no debris, etc. As I recall the gearbox was turning just fine with the proper whirring noise, when last I had it out.

I reckon I can take it apart and see if the simple action of putting it all back together causes the same unexplainable "fix" you got doing that. When I get around to it (did I mention the busy/lazy thing?) I'll post back here any updates.

[center:sy1q5ww4]==============================UPDATE==============================[/center:sy1q5ww4]

Okay, I took it all apart and sure enough the gearbox wouldn't whir when blown into, so I took it all apart and found that there was a small (pea sized) wad of fiberous organic material (probably grass clippings and leaf bits) which almost resembled a wet knot of string, that was jammed in the gears. I put it all back together, blowing into the opening as I added each gear back in to ensure it was turning, and then reassembled the droid. Voila! It's running like a champ! :whoot:

:goodjob: FYI for anyone with a similar cleaning droid:

• The gearbox is actually quite simple, just pay attention to how you take it apart and how it goes back in.
• There are six (6) loose gears, and one sort of paddle-wheel looking gear that's fixed.
• When you blow into the small opening with all the gears out, the one that's permanently in there will spin freely, but as you add gears they spin progressivly slower and you won't be able to turn them by hand. It's a gear reduction thing. Don't worry, as long as you hear the whirring noise when you blow into it, they're turning. It's just a VERY slow turn by the time you get the last one on there. ;)
• Take the time to wipe off any little bits of grit, leaf particles, dirt, whatever - it'll help ensure you don't have to repeat the process in the near future.

TLH,

The problem repeated itself many times.

I found out the same thing that you did. A small rock had gotten lodged into the gears and caused it to freeze up. It was a relatively simple matter to disassemble the box and put it back together again.

This happened several times over the last few months. I finally realized the root cause of the problem. On the back of the navigator, there is a plastic mesh screen about 4 inches wide by 2 inches tall. Last fall, when I totally overhauled my navigator by buying a complete kit of internal components from an ebay seller, that screen split into two pieces and didn't fit well. I didn't think that it was all that important so I just left the screen off. It was convenient for a while, because I could then visually verify that the gearbox was working without taking apart the casing.

It turns out that the screen is very important. That screen is the only thing that prevents foreign objects from getting into the intake port if the gearbox. I managed to make the old screen fit again by shaving off some material here and there. The screen is still broken, but it does an adequate job. My navigator has been running like new for about 2 months now.

Ah-HA!

Yep I know that screen well. The Aquadroid is apparently just an old version of the Navigator in terms of "guts". My screen is cracked horizontally, but intact. However, because my neighbor's trees hang over my fence right next to my pool and grass clippings, etc. are magically funneled straight to my pool anytime the wind blows, my pool gets a lot of debris in the fall and winter. I have seen that screen totally clogged up with "vegtable" matter, so I can easily see how a small wad of it could have been sucked through the crack and right into the gearbox.

Thanks for the info - I actually had no idea what that screen was for. With that in mind, I *may* but a new one ('course I *may* just try to super glue that crack shut too). But either way, now that you've let me know what that screen is for, I can totally understand how mine got jammed just like yours.

Glad I could help.

You can buy the screens on ebay for about 8 dollars shipped. I ordered one a few months ago but it got lost in the mail. I never got around to ordering another one. I'm not sure that you'll be able to find them in pool stores because it's not usually considered an item that requires replacement.

Eight bucks is better than super glue. I might just visit eBay. Good tip.

Surprisingly I have yet to come across a component for my old Aquadroid that my local store (Pinch-A-Penny) doesn't have. However, they have a HUUUUUUUGE markup on parts (e.g., $50 for new pods!). I have done fairly well ordering parts from inyopools.com or, as you suggested above, from eBay. Not sure why I didn't think of eBay for the screen thing, but then again, I only learned of its importance a post ago. ;)

Thanks again.

Hi all: Just had a broken screen on my Aquadroid so I cleaned out all the debris inside when I replaced it. Seems to be working well again. Great little device!

But I have a question: There's an adjustment on the back front lower flap that changes the spring pressure of that flap. This is accomplished by turning a red cam bar that has designators numbered I, II & III. Spring pressure increases with the numerals.

Anyone know how this adjustment changes performance and why one would change it?

Thanks!
Bill

Hi all: Just had a broken screen on my Aquadroid so I cleaned out all the debris inside when I replaced it. Seems to be working well again. Great little device!

But I have a question: There's an adjustment on the back front lower flap that changes the spring pressure of that flap. This is accomplished by turning a red cam bar that has designators numbered I, II & III. Spring pressure increases with the numerals.

Anyone know how this adjustment changes performance and why one would change it?

Thanks!
Bill

https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/PoolVac-Classic-XL-NavigatorPro.pdf

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.