pool closing with a mesh cover ... help

nthoms

Jul 13, 2012
Colchester, CT
I have a 16 x 36 vinyl in-ground pool with an Anchor (loop-lock style) mesh cover. Every year when I go to open my pool in the Spring, it is a horrible green algae mess. I spend weeks and lots of money cleaning it. My question ... should I spend the money to switch to a solid loop-lock style Anchor cover? Or could I simply by a cheap solid cover and install it under the mesh cover?

Also, what do others use for closing chemicals with their mesh covers to help avoid the green algae mess when they open it.

I live in the North East so temperatures are consistently below freezing for Dec/Jan/Feb.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

It shouldn't take but a couple of days to clean a green pool I've had mine go almost black from equipment failure, and had it swimmable in less than a week.

The easiest way to keep the pool clear is to wait until the water drops below 60 in the fall to close, and to open when the water hits 60 in the spring.

You can put the cover on now, and run the pump for a few hours a day to maintain water quality. Keep the chemistry in balance, and you'll be fine. I would avoid using chlorine tabs. Maintain chlorine levels with bleach or your salt system, if you have one.

Before the air temperatures are cold enough to freeze the pipes, winterize the equipment.

In the spring, once the air temperatures are warm enough to eliminate the risk of freezing, restart the equipment, run for a few hours a day, and keep the chemistry in check. Then, when you are ready to remove the cover, the pool will be clean, clear and chemically balanced.

A solid cover is usually a good investment. It will help keep the pool clean with much less effort. However, if your old cover is still in good shape, it can be difficult to justify spending a lot of money on a new cover.

None? Really?
Over in closing instructions, it recommends a pre-closing shock, plus polyquat 60, right?
So do you mean that you just bring up the chlorine to shock level and close?
Or do you mean that you DON'T bother bringing the chlorine up to shock level at all, you just let it close without chlorine?
- Just checking!

I just bring the FC up to shock level, circulate it for an hour and close. No other chems at all.

The Polyquat is just insurance but isn't needed in most cases.

The biggest issue I have is going out and siphoning off the water and blowing leaves off the cover once in a while.

Reactions: Cmurra6745

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have been closing pools for thirty years, all we do is drain the skimmers, put gizmos in and two gallons of antifreeze, blow returns and plug then put three gallons af antifreeze down the main drain. Put on the cover and it is put to bed for the winter. No problem at opening. If it was clean and has a solid cover it will be the same in the spring. If it has a mesh cover it will be green at opening unless it is opened early. That is how I do it in Missouri.

nthoms said:
JohnT said:
nthoms said:
What chemicals are you all using to winterize your pool?

None.

Ok, being that I don't really know much about this ... I like the idea of not having to spend money on "closing" supplies. But seriously? None?

I'll put any liquid chlorine I have left over into the pool a day or so before I close, and in the days leading up to closing I stay on my pH pretty hard to keep it lower in the range, but I don't add anything at closing. I can see to vacuum when I open, though I wouldn't call the pool clean. I've used polyquat in the past and can't tell in the spring whether I've used it or not.

My neighbor gets a $300+ closing service from a pool company and is always in a mess trying to get his pool clear for Memorial Day. I don't laugh at him...where he can hear me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.