Greetings, I am posting this in the deep-end because it's a chem-geeky kind of question However, I am curious as to whether anyone with iron in their water has ever used Ferri-Iron tabs, which is presently packaged by Lynde Co. in MN and sold regionally at http://askthepoolguy.net .
The pool company was kind enough to send me the MSDS, which showed the formula is (-CH2CHCONH2-) N -- and non-toxic.
I looked up polyacrylamides and discovered they're used pretty extensively in water treatment, specifically to bind up ferric chloride, etc. Essentially, it's a gel-like floc, from what I can gather.
In my case, I've not oxidized any iron lately, so I can't yet test them (but will likely find an opportunity at some point to test them.)
But I read a lot of posts from people whose water turns brown, green, etc. after they shock.
Here's what the site writes about the tablets, by way of background:
So I'm curious as to whether the pros/chemistry-enabled super posters have ever had any experience with this product, and whether anyone thinks it's possible to use same to facilitate actual iron removal via shock/oxidize and add tabs. Or whether there are downsides.A popular product, especially where water is hard and contains Iron, is something called ferritabs. They were produced previously by Hydrology Laboratories, a division of Aqua Clear Industries, in packages of 10 per box, and designed for sand filters or de filters. See the photo of the old tabs and packaging, this for de type filters.
They are back on the market, and better than ever!
Ferri-Iron Tabs are water treatment tablets that help eliminate the discoloration caused by iron and manganese.
They have been formulated for use in all filters EXCEPT diatomaceous earth filters.
These double-action tablets have been formulated to help decolorize water that has been colored by IRON or MANGANESE. These discoloring insoluble materials are removed from the water by charge neutralization and flocculation.
This non-toxic formulation is completely soluble in water and contains no caustic or corrosive chemicals, diatomaceous earth, alum or any chemicals that will alter the pH or chlorine level of the water.
If it worked, it'd be a lot cheaper to spend $21 bucks once than consume Jack's Magic forevermore
Thanks to any who feel able to weigh in on the idea, and to anyone whose had any experience with the former product!