Mint Hill, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
My neighbor who has had an AGP for 15 years and successfully maintained it with pucks and powder... Has a swamp!

He will not listen and won't use bleach for fear of hurting his liner! He let me test the water...

FC 0
CC 0
TA 90
CH 40
CYA 120 (1:1 pool water, tap water, 2x result )

I think his covering the pool over winter and not having a mess I'd leaves to clean out and drain off nasty water set him up for this since last winter was the first time he opened to a clean pool...

By my calcs his pool is about 18500 gallons (3.5 by 30 feet) he had a 1.5 hayward lx pump and a tiny 1.4 square foot sand filter.

He refuses to run the pump more than about 6 hours.

Sigh... By my calc he needs about 6 lbs of calhypo or 5 gallons of 10% to get to the minimum shock of 28 recommended by poolcalculator.

All he really wants to do is throw floc and bags of shock in there. He wants to get it clear in order to close it next month.

Meanwhile, I have a mosquito pit eyesore next door.

The pool we maintain is 1.5 miles away so he can't just see our results. Also the liner was damaged before we got the pool and we can't show him that bbb doesn't harm the liner due to that...

-sent with Tapatalk 2

Try the calhypo route. CH is certainly low enough and ask if he would be comfy with liquid shock purchased from the pool store? (He does not need to know it's just strong bleach).

Some people are just hard headed and you have to decide how to approach it to not insult him as he has had his pool for 15yrs, yet even though I'm sure you're inlaws are having great success with our crazy bleach method :goodjob:

Since the pool is green and cloudy I am worried about his liner with any powdered chlorine. Can he dissolve calhypo in a bucket safely - then add it?

I tried the Liquid shock option, no dice so far. I maybe able to get him to use potassium monopersulfite since he won't see high FC on his test strips.

-sent with Tapatalk 2

Richard320 said:
The guy is beyond reason. Don't waste your time.

The county health department probably has a mosquito control program. Call them anonymously. Maybe they'll give him some of those mosquito bricquets.

LOL - He is a nice guy and a good neighbor. I think he's going to be hard to convince (he's older than I am, has more pool experience than I do, etc.) but I don't want to give up as a lost cause. I'm going to suggest some mosquito bricks to him - they are cheap.

I can't fathom how TINY his filter is. It's like 100lbs or so max. And his pump is a 1.5hp - although I could not find any SF info on it which seemed weird. The previous pump he had was a 2 speed which made a lot more sense to me - but when it died he bought this.

His pump head must be strange. He has only about 10' between the pool and the pump, but he uses these corrugated flexible hoses that have to be 1.25" not 1.5" and he has a single skimmer on suction and a single return. He also believes in changing the sand from time to time and uses normal play sand...

OK - so maybe he is beyond help but I like him and I want to help him.

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din! It's a very nice gesture on your part but--whew! This guy can't clear his pool but he wants you to do it the same way he can't? His pump is too big for his filter and the filter is too small for the pool. And he uses play sand? :shock:

Put a statue of Saint Jude on his top rail and run.

"hey buddy, I realize you've owned a pool for a long time and your used to doing things a certain way, but you have to agree with me, you are stuck here right?" "would you pay someone $100 to clear it?" "Do you think they would divulge to you their secret?" "Well, then let me help you out and I won't keep it a secret...you buy me the chemicals and we'll enjoy a beer or two while we clear your pool...btw you did see my test kit, right?"

If a conversation like that does not do the trick...walk away and figure out how to get the health dept to add some mosquito bricks :goodjob:

LOL - you guys crack me up. The mosquito comment is a bit overblown - he's running the pump and I don't see anything growing on the top of the water. Here's a picture...

Untitled.jpg

Filter is a Hayward S166T - with 35GPM backwash design flow rate (Hayward site says 30; label on the unit says 35)
Pump is a Hayward SP1515Z1BC which shows as a 1.5 HP but I have to assume it's uprated much like mine. Shows 75 GPM on the label.

Picture of plumbing:
Untitled2.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.