New member and future CPO

Sep 6, 2012
Hello All, My name is Steve, from the Ventura area of Southern California. Recently, I was on a job doing brick pavers on a back patio and poolside, and an old high school friend was at the house servicing the pool. After he finished up we had a few moments to catch up and he was telling me about the business, and after a bit, it sounded like something I would be interested in getting into. He started by getting his CPO and spent some time studying different systems, and he ended up purchasing a pool route off of craigslist, he went from making $11.00 an hour working security to making enough to rent an actual home, purchase a new truck for work and a new personal truck, and he supports his girlfriend and their daughter completely, and he bought a boat at the beginning of summer. He is very successful, and he said it was great work, great money and hes more than happy right where hes at. I spent some time researching, and I just signed up to take my CPO course and exam next month. I figure I could use this next month to study on different pool service-related subject matter, but I must admit, I really have no idea where to start. I'm coming in a blind beginner. If anyone has some advice to offer, or any links or recommended reading prior to the CPO course I would be very grateful. I'm going to be purchasing some note pads and post-it notes for note taking, and I really want to hit this head on.

Anyways, that's my story. Thanks for reading, y'all!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

If you can, see if they'll give you the CPO course book in advance. Take a look at the post Certified Pool Operator (CPO) training -- What is not taught and look at the Word file, but don't bother reading my voluminous reasoning in that file and just focus on the indented sections which correct some of the text and tables (and add some tables) to the existing CPO course book. You might just print out those few pages (the ones with indented new or corrected sections) and take those with you to supplement the course. In particular, the most important are my Tables 5-2, 5-3 and 5-5. The CPO course book is actually quite good and is just missing or not quite right in a few places, though as described in the post it really doesn't discuss the chlorine/CYA relationship properly.

Thanks for the responses guys! Feels good to be welcomed! :party:

I'm going to give the instructor a call tomorrow to try to get the book prior to the course, and I found that post the other day chem geek, some awesome info in there. I sure don't know a thing about chemistry, or how it relates to pool care, but I am more than ready to learn! I know about TDS though, if that makes up for my lack of pool-related intelligence :whoot:

I know a small amount about salt-chlorine generators, and I know that running chlorine tabs over and over is going to lead to some dirty water, but so far that's about it, but I'm definitely ready to make this happen! I need to start researching filter/chlorine/heater systems, my moms pool is going to be completely rebuilt in a few months, and I would rather install her new equipment instead of having them bring in generic over-priced systems.

Thanks again for the warm welcomes, guys!