Where to buy gravel for sand filter

Jun 30, 2011
Fullerton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We are almost at the end of the process of remodeling our pool. As part of the remodel, we replaced all the 40 year old equipment. This included changing the stainless Purex DE filter to a Triton II sand filter. This due to lower maintenance. I've decided to use both gravel and sand in the TR-140, however, I cannot find a place to buy the gravel. The Triton manual states the gravel should be 1/8" to 1/4" in size. Any suggestions of where to go? I've found the #20 Silica pool sand at HD.
Thanks.

I guess I'm out of luck. Neither HD nor Lowes carry that small of pea gravel. Unless there are other suggestions, I most likely will have to call the construction material suppliers. That I'm guessing will not be washed gravel. Tomorrow plaster is starting and after that pool startup. Ugh, I'm down to the last minute and still don't know where to go :cry:

RobbieH said:
Mine is filled with just sand. Does the 140 not have this option?

You can use sand on any sand filter. The nice thing about bigger sand filters is that, because of their large size, you can use pea gravel to cover the laterals. This helps prevent lateral clogs and breakage, and makes a sand change much easier.

Qwaxalot said:
RobbieH said:

You can use sand on any sand filter. The nice thing about bigger sand filters is that, because of their large size, you can use pea gravel to cover the laterals. This helps prevent lateral clogs and breakage, and makes a sand change much easier.

I thought sand really next to never needed to be changed? What sort of problems would require the sand to be changed?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
YippeeSkippy said:
Qwaxalot said:
RobbieH said:

I thought sand really next to never needed to be changed? What sort of problems would require the sand to be changed?

Sometimes it gets gunked up and calcified enough that it's just not worth the effort of cleaning it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.