Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter pressure increases in spa mode

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter pressure increases in spa mode

When operating in the pool mode, my Hayward filter reads 18 lbs pressure. When I change over to the spa mode, same number of returns, the pressure increases to 30 lbs. Have good pressure on the spa returns. Is this normal Hope to hear from some of the experts on this site. Thanks !!
    free-form, 13K plaster/gunite IG pool, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter (DE2420), A.O. Smith 1 1/2HP motor, Hayward gas heater (H250), 4 jet spa, Tf100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter pressure increases in spa mode

Are the eyeball exits in the spa smaller than the ones in the pool? That would result in higher pressure.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Not sure. Very good tip. Will check first thing in the AM and let you know what I find out. Thank you very much for the suggestion.
    free-form, 13K plaster/gunite IG pool, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter (DE2420), A.O. Smith 1 1/2HP motor, Hayward gas heater (H250), 4 jet spa, Tf100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

jblizzle: The spa return jets are smaller than those in the pool. So I thought your suggestion solved my concern. So I removed them and turned on the spa. Pressure still remains at 30lbs. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, looks like it may have gone up 1 lb. This is a brand new guage as of two weeks ago. Thought about a partially closed valve, but the pressure seems okay. Have electric operated valves (Jandy- Aqua Link). Don't know where to look next. Thanks for all your help in working with me on my concern.

5. Back To Top    #5

I see a difference in pressure when I switch things around. Not as much as you see, but a difference. I've always chalked it up to much shorter pipe runs on the intake side. Conversely, when I am vacuuming, I show much lower pressure because I am drawing through a longer run with a smaller diameter.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Spas will usually run at higher pressure because of the spa jets because of the small small (3/8") nozzles. You may have just removed the outer eyeballs which would not affect the pressure much but if you remove the nozzles, then that should impact the pressure. How may jets do you have and do you know the nozzle size? Also, what is the size/model of your pump?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Richard320: Good information. Thanks for the post. Will check on pressure when vacuuming next time.

mas985: (Four) Eyeball openings on my spa returns are 3/4". Not sure what you mean when referring to nozzles? Eyeballs are held in place by threaded "O" ring. Pump is 1 1/2 HP made by A.O. Smith. Model #: C48L2N134B1. Appreciate your willingness to assist. I have had pools at three different homes since the late 70's, but only found your forum last evening. Had
    the filter cleaned about a week ago by a local pool supply store and the guy they sent out raised some red flags. Did something to cause the pressure guage to blow off the release valve. They had to replace the entire release valve and guage. Thus the reason for monitoring the guage so closely. Wondered if they had caused other problems. All of your assistance has been invaluable.

8. Back To Top    #8

The exterior fittings are called eyeballs and that is what you are removing. The nozzles are deep inside the spa return pipe and the only way to see them is to lower the water level so you can look inside the return pipe with the eyeball removed. The nozzles are what give the jets their strength and what cause the pressure to rise.

Also, A.O. Smith makes the motor not the pump and the number you gave is for the motor. If you are interested in identifying the pump, then post a picture.

But just based on the motor size, that is a fairly big pump to have for only 4 jets and probably why the pressure is so high. Do the jets feel really strong too?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

mas985: Sorry for the wrong model #. The pump is a Hayward Super II model # SP3010X15AZ. The pressure from the four jets is quite strong.

As a sidebar item, I checked with my neighbor whose pool was built by the same pool builder about 9 months after ours was built. He has the same equipment and told me he runs 20lbs in the pool vs 36lbs for his spa. His is a salt pool, mine is straight liquid chlorine. Don't know if that makes a difference, but thought I would add the information. In that they both have this pressure jump, can I assume this is normal Thank you again for all your support. It is greatly appreciated.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by scionti95
    mas985: Sorry for the wrong model #. The pump is a Hayward Super II model # SP3010X15AZ. The pressure from the four jets is quite strong.

As a sidebar item, I checked with my neighbor whose pool was built by the same pool builder about 9 months after ours was built. He has the same equipment and told me he runs 20lbs in the pool vs 36lbs for his spa. His is a salt pool, mine is straight liquid chlorine. Don't know if that makes a difference, but thought I would add the information. In that they both have this pressure jump, can I assume this is normal Thank you again for all your support. It is greatly appreciated.
    His pressure rise is even higher proportionally than yours. 30/18 = 1.66; 36/20 = 1.8.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Your neighbor must have a much bigger pump then you.

Ok, on to the pump, 30 PSI is around 70' of head and the Super II should produce about 50 GPM at that flow rate so each jet would have about 12.5 GPM. Depending on the jet size, that would produce decent but not over powering jets.

Another questions, what size pipe is being used to and from the spa and how long is the run to the pump?

Just based on the pressure, I suspect the PB used smaller pipe (2"?) or the runs are real long.
    Mark

12. Back To Top    #12

mas985: It is 2" pipe the PB used with a run of approximately 40' from the drain of the spa to the pump and filter. House and pool was built 2005-006 when the building craze was going on in Florida. Contractors hired anybody with a pulse, so the workmanship was less than desirable. Who knows what size piping is buried and out of sight. My home was one of those spec homes with a pool package etc., where it was already built with a price tag.
    All that being said, what are your thoughts on my set up and equipment. Will probably be in the house for some time and will need to make some upgrades as necessary. Pool is kidney shaped with approximately 13,000 gal. Was this a questionable pool package with deficiencies that I bought with the house? My feelings certainly would not be hurt. Just want to get this all moving in the right direction. Appreciate all your help. I am a good caretaker of my pool, but just do not have much knowledge of sizing and matching equipment. That is also one of the reasons I joined this forum to gain knowledge. Thanks !!

13. Back To Top    #13

I can't really comment on your setup because I don't know what you have (hint hint, fill out your signature with your equipment and setup).

But in general, there seem to be a lot of PBs who really don't understand hydraulics very well and end up designing poor performing spas. If your spa had been designed properly, the pressure would not be as high and you might also be able to get away with a smaller pump. But if you are satisfied with the performance, I wouldn't change anything.
    Mark

14. Back To Top    #14

mas985: As a new member, I feel very privileged to have become a part of a great group of guys with a tremendous knowledge of pools and their operation. Each of you have been invaluable in providing both knowledge and insite. Would like to add to my signature with your suggestions, but cannot find the area under profile. Can you assist again? As for being satisfied, I guess I am, but with so little knowledge, I also don't know any better. You guys are going to be a great asset in my learning curve. Plan to stay active on the forum, so any advice given is always greatly appreciated.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by scionti95
    Would like to add to my signature with your suggestions, but cannot find the area under profile.
    The signature info is in this topic in pool school: pool-school/read_before_you_post
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

16. Back To Top    #16

UnderWaterVanya: Thank you for the heads-up on the proper topic. Will add to my "today's list" of things to do. Am very impressed with the forum and appreciate the knowledge and professionalism.