Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Size matters?

1. Back To Top    #1

Size matters?

The wife and I have been having some constructive debate over the size of our next pool. We learned two things at the old house. 1. More is better when it comes to deck and gathering area around the pool. 2. Our 16 x 32 free form felt small when the rest of the family came over (5kids, 5 adults). I think the decking is solved, we'll have around 600sqft of covered patio and around 750-800sqft of uncovered deck. My question is about the pool size. We plan to do a rectangular pool she wants 20 x 40, I feel that is overkill. I want something smaller perhaps 18 x 32. What has worked for others? Space is not an issue. The home is new construction to be built at the same time as the pool, our lot is 1.23 acres and the general pool area is at least 100' from the back of the lot and 150' from the far side with home and garage buffering the near sides. I want enough room that everyone can use the pool together. I realize this is a very subjective question but I appreciate learning from the collective experience of the group. What size was too small? How much was too much therefore a poor use of your money? I just want to be Goldie Locks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Size matters?

20 x 40
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm just speaking from what I have so take that as you will. I have an 18' pool and that just seems to narrow to me even if it was twice as long. I personally would go with the 20'x40', that way if everyone wants to gather in the shallow end it still wouldn't feel crowded. Also since you are building the house I would assume you will be there awhile...I've never heard anyone wish they got a smaller pool. :P

Might also get a quote for two different sizes and see if that changes the decision.
    6500 gal, Intex 18'x48" above ground, 1hp Pro Sand Filter, TF100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

If your 16 x 32 felt too small, the 18 x 32 is only 2 feet wider. I'd go with the 20 x 40 if cost isn't an issue.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

5. Back To Top    #5

PAGirl has a point.
    16x32=512square feet
    18x32=576square feet, not a huge difference.
    20x40=800square feet, now this is a pool! :P
    6500 gal, Intex 18'x48" above ground, 1hp Pro Sand Filter, TF100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Good stuff, to be clear the free form was 16' at it's widest but likely 13'-14' wide on average. Money wasn't a concern when the plan started but scope creep on the house itself has me trying to be sensible. I will lean towards bigger is better. Anybody in that 18'x 32-36' range want to weigh in about your pool?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

My pool has about 2500' of decking and is 25 x 52. Is it too large? Absolutely not.

Is it twice as hard to maintain as a pool half the size? Absolutely

EVERYTHING is harder. A cover that size is to unwieldy. Chemistry costs are double. etc. etc.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

As I was reading your original post I was thinking the same thing that PAGirl said. So, I would go with the bigger size, especially if you plan to have friends over much.

Also, one thing that helped me when we were planning out our pool area was to lay out some string where you think you want things to be with the approximate size you are anticipating... sometimes it helps to get a visual so you can see the scope of the project.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a 16x32 grecian shaped pool (rectangle with angled corners).
    During the summer we have weekly swim parties with the family, both sides. It's about half adults/half kids (roughly about 25 people). The adults and young kids gather in the shallow end which isn't that big, but the older kids tend to stay swim in the deep end. We find the shallow area to be cramped when the majority of the quests are in the pool. But when it's just my wife/son and I, it's plenty big for us.

I find a lot of people liek gathering/hanging out in the shallow end. Which is why when I have to re-do my decking (in about 15+ years) i'm going to look into coverting my pool into an L shape. More shallow end for gathering/games, and the deep end for diving.swimming.

If cost and space are not an issue, going bigger is probably better. But you have to consider how often you're going to have people over to justify the extra cost of building and mainting the larger pool.

Just a side note:
    We had a welcome home party for my brother-in-law when he got back from serving. We had well over 50 people there. We did fine with what we had. Cramped at times, yes. Complaints, no.
    Thread
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

we DIYed our own 20x40. Everytime we talk about the journey, my husband says, "our next pool is gonna be 25x50". Oh, and he says he would have gone to 10 foot deep. Bigger must be better!
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

11. Back To Top    #11

We have 16x32 and find it perfect. It's only 5.75 deep, so chemical costs are lower, and adults who don't swim well aren't afraid of the deep end.

-sent with Tapatalk 2
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

12. Back To Top    #12

When I was young my parents had a 20x40. It was a great size for having family visit. I like the L shape, since I agree that a lot of time is spent in the shallow end by most people.

42 x 16 x 24 looks like a great size.
    Not sure of the size, but this one is very nice as well.

Whenever the time is right and I can finally get an in-ground, it will probably be 18x36 since we won't often have that many people over.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]