Poly Quat 50 ???

Sold by ALDEN LEEDS INC
32 oz bottle

1000606a.jpg

Well how about that...the MSDS was right. The PAN Database entry shows that the primary ingredient is 50% of the linear quat ADBAC. It is NOT what we normally call Polyquat, in spite of what they named this product. It's an effective algaecide, but it foams especially when there is aeration. It also has a noticeably high chlorine demand.

You should probably take it back if you can and get Polyquat 60 instead. Look for the ingredient "Poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride" at 60% concentration.

Why are you getting algaecide anyway? Perhaps depending on why you are using it you could use this "PolyQuat 50" if for some reason you aren't able to exchange it (the Polyquat 60 is likely to cost more, perhaps 2-3 times as much, depending on what they charged for the PolyQuat 50).

Well, I'd see if you can return/exchange it. If not, then it is still usable and since the pool will be closed there shouldn't be any foaming since the water will be still. The difference would be that you'd dose it high and NOT then raise the chlorine. You'd have to depend on the algicide lasting longer through the winter. If you were to instead use the real Polyquat 60, then it is used with chlorine as described in this post.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
chem geek said:
Well, I'd see if you can return/exchange it. If not, then it is still usable and since the pool will be closed there shouldn't be any foaming since the water will be still. The difference would be that you'd dose it high and NOT then raise the chlorine. You'd have to depend on the algicide lasting longer through the winter. If you were to instead use the real Polyquat 60, then it is used with chlorine as described in this post.

Cool Thats the original post I read on the PolyQuat 60

Thanks
Il try it see how it does over the winter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.