PH and Closing

stslimited84

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2011
North East
Hey all,

After a great season, the time to close is quickly approaching here in Pa. Last year, the PH rose to over 8.0 during the off season and caused scaling issues (see my other threads if interested).

How do I prevent this from happening during the off season when the pool is closed?

Thanks all,

Hope you've had a great pool season!

I don't close my pool so I can only guess. Lower the pH to 7.2 prior to closing and, oce it's covered, I suspect the outgassing of CO2 (which causes the pH rise) will be greatly reduced. So much so that I think you will stay below pH 8.

What is your CH and your TA?

FC: 11
CC: 0
PH: 7
TA: 80
CH: 350
CYA: 25

PH was high this morning so I brought it down. Everything look right? The pool is being closed this afternoon so is there anything I need to adjust? any last minute recommendations?

Thanks all!

stslimited84 said:
FC: 11
CC: 0
PH: 7
TA: 80
CH: 350
CYA: 25

PH was high this morning so I brought it down. Everything look right? The pool is being closed this afternoon so is there anything I need to adjust? any last minute recommendations?
pH seems a tad too low. I think that 7.2 is the lowest recommended.
FC looks perfect.
CC's look perfect.
TA seems fine.
CH - depends on everything else - I didn't run the numbers in Pool Calculator - have you? You'll need temp....
CYA - is a bit low but no big deal since you'll (I assume) check again on opening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.