Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borates added...PH still rising strong

1. Back To Top    #1

Borates added...PH still rising strong

I added borates to my pool last week hoping it would help my battle with rising PH with it's buffering properties, I was wrong. I checked my PH and it has gone from 7.6. to 7.9 in the matter of a few days.Without intervention the pool will usually top out at around 8.1-8.2ph.

My TA was 90 before adding borates, after adding 50ppm of borates it is has gone to TA of 100. In a few weeks time I am sure that TA will drop with all the acid I put into the pool, after a few months I usually have to add baking soda to get it back into spec. My jets look fine, no air bubbles or substantial bubbles in the pump basket so I don't think it's an aeration problem.

So my question is what other ideas can I do keep this PH battle more stable?
    9.5k IG Pool
    Plaster (Diamond Brite)
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borates added...PH still rising strong

Isn't the first step in adding borates to ensure your TA is lowered to around 70-80ppm (assuming you are not using tri-chlor pucks)? That is likely why your pH is still rising.

Now that you have added them, it is going to MUCH harder to get the TA lowered to the correct range.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Isn't the first step in adding borates to ensure your TA is lowered to around 70-80ppm (assuming you are not using tri-chlor pucks)? That is likely why your pH is still rising.

Now that you have added them, it is going to MUCH harder to get the TA lowered to the correct range.

Sorry, I have adjusted my values..my original ones stated were not correct (higher). Approximately how much muriatic acid should be added to get the TA down to 80?
    9.5k IG Pool
    Plaster (Diamond Brite)
    Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

See How to Lower Total Alkalinity, in Pool School, for instructions on lowering TA.

What form of chlorine are you using? Unless you are using trichlor or dichlor, or your TA is already down to 60, you should be lowering TA to slow PH increases. Higher TA levels cause the PH to rise more quickly. Adding baking soda just forces the PH to rise some more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I primarily use bleach. I occasionally use tri-clor pucks for long weekend or vacations.
    9.5k IG Pool
    Plaster (Diamond Brite)
    Sand Filter