Heater blower on when pump is off or on low RPM

phipsi1237

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 16, 2011
Tularosa, NM
We just had an EasyTouch, Intelliflo, IntellipH, SCG, and new filter installed. The pump is an upgrade from a single speed. If I run the pump below 1350 RPMs, the blower on the heater kicks on, and I get the "lo" error message that usually means low water flow. This happens at less than 1350 RPM and when the pump is off. The heater is an old Hayward H400IDL2 installed around 2005/2006.

Any ideas? I guess my next step on my end is to disconnect the remote wire just to see if it's an interface issue.

Thanks for any replies and suggestions.

The heater shouldn't be coming on unless you have selected to activate it. Sounds to me like you have some crossed wires or wires connected where they shouldn't be.

I've disconnected the remote switch. Blower is running right now with same service code "Lo." I did notice the heater is connected directly through to the circuit breaker with the pump. Seems as if the heater is powered all the time. So, if water flow is sufficient, blower doesn't come on.

Should I connect the heater power to the filter/pump relay? At least this way, power is off to the heater until the pump is powered. I can't find anything in the heater or EasyTouch manual discussing this.

Not that this has anything to do with the issue at hand, but the heater is connected to the same circuit breaker as the pump. The Intelliflo manual says the pump should be on it's own circuit. Moving the heater to the load side of the pump relay will fix this. The SCG is connected to the load side of the pump relay as well. Would this be a problem?

Just got off the phone with Pentair. He said by hooking the heater through the pump relay I may be hiding a different issue. For now, 2 options:

Wire to the relay, that way the heater fan won't run when the pump is off.
Or
Run the pump for 24 hours. I'm already running 23, so what's another hour.

I've got an email into Hayward support since I couldn't find a number for them.

Even though the heater is always powered, the remote switch should be doing it's job. I'm at a loss until Hayward gets back to me.

A lot of heaters operate this way as a safety feature so the best solution is to wire it with the pump relay. This is the way mine is wired.

That will definitely solve the issue of the heater fan turning on when the pump goes off.

Now I need to figure out why the fan comes (with "Lo" service light) when the flow rate drops even though I'm not asking for heat. I got it down to 1240 RPMs by closing the bypass valve they installed with everything else. I don't see a reason I shouldn't be able to run the pump at 750 RPMs, hence the point of a variable sipped pump.

phipsi1237 said:
Now I need to figure out why the fan comes (with "Lo" service light) when the flow rate drops even though I'm not asking for heat.
As I said before, it is designed to do that as a safety feature. If the unit is powered on and the water pressure drops below a set point, the exhaust fan is designed to turn on. However, the pressure swithc set point should be adjustable. Is the heater elevated significantly above the water line? If so, there should be a procedure in the manual to adjust the pressure switch set point. Most heaters have a minimum flow rate that they are designed for. My heater and most heaters require at least 40 GPM. If you operate below that level, it could damage the heat ex-changer.

Thanks for all the info. I have read about an adjustable pressure switch. I understand about the minimum flow requirements as well. But, I assumed the min flow was for when I was calling for heat. I'm running the pump 23 hours a day and would really like to be able to dial it down from the current 1240RPM to whatever I can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I adjusted the water pressure switch and can run the pump as low as I want for the heater. HOWEVER!!! Now I can't go below 1050 RPMs because I get a low flow light on the IC40 cell. I'm guessing there's no way around that. Plus, any lower than that almost worries me about circulation. I think I can live with 150 watts though. Now, I do need to hook the heater to the filter/pump relay so that it turns off when the pump does.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.