Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: First attempt at pool closing

  1. Back To Top    #1

    First attempt at pool closing

    I just need some clarification. I am attempting to close my pool on my own this year...tough economic times. I live in Canada and in a city where winter is - 30 to -40 degrees celcius for 5 months of the year. I don't understand "blowing out my lines". I have one line that goes from my pump to my pool and another that goes from my heater to mu pool. My skimmer has two "holes" one is main drain the other is ???. Can someone give me a step by step for doing this correct, icluding antifreeze, gimos???, etc. I apologise if this has been asked but I just don't get it, which lines are for what and how to blow. I have a 2.5shop vac but can rent anything from homedepot. Thanks again.

    from the land of the ice and snow

  2. Back To Top    #2
    UnderWaterVanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mint Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,589

    Re: First attempt at pool closing

    Quote Originally Posted by privacyhound
    I just need some clarification. I am attempting to close my pool on my own this year...tough economic times. I live in Canada and in a city where winter is - 30 to -40 degrees celcius for 5 months of the year.
    First have you read these:
    pool-school/closing_in_ground_pool
    pool-school/winterizing%20and%20closing%20your%20above%20group%20pool

    Quote Originally Posted by privacyhound
    I don't understand "blowing out my lines". I have one line that goes from my pump to my pool and another that goes from my heater to mu pool. My skimmer has two "holes" one is main drain the other is ???. Can someone give me a step by step for doing this correct, icluding antifreeze, gimos???, etc. I apologise if this has been asked but I just don't get it, which lines are for what and how to blow. I have a 2.5shop vac but can rent anything from homedepot. Thanks again.
    I'm brand new to pools this year so I don't know the details either but I can tell you that you have to have 1 or more lines from the pool to the pump, a line from the pump to the filter, and then to heater, and then back to the pool I assume.

    The line from the pool includes both main drain and skimmer - the reason you have two holes in the skimmer is likey that one goes to the pump and the other to the main drain.


    First have you read these:
    pool-school/closing_in_ground_pool
    pool-school/winterizing%20and%20closing%20your%20above%20group%20pool
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: First attempt at pool closing

    Everyone does it differently, and I learned a ton just by watching the pool guy who I had over my first year. If you have valves on each pipe run, it becomes easier, since you can isolate each line.

    Like you, I have a big ugly shop vac that I connect to the skimmer. I blow one set of returns at a time (1 valve open, 1 valve closed), then I switch. The only run I can't blow out with the vac is my main drain....I have to use an air compressor since it provides a larger volume of air.

    Once you get a fine mist coming out of the returns, remove the shop vac and pour RV antifreeze into the skimmer lines. Hook shop vac back up and blow until see some antifreeze start to mist out of the returns. Cap the returns off with winterizing plugs, and move on to the next set.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Re: First attempt at pool closing

    Quote Originally Posted by gkruske
    Everyone does it differently, and I learned a ton just by watching the pool guy who I had over my first year. If you have valves on each pipe run, it becomes easier, since you can isolate each line.

    Like you, I have a big ugly shop vac that I connect to the skimmer. I blow one set of returns at a time (1 valve open, 1 valve closed), then I switch. The only run I can't blow out with the vac is my main drain....I have to use an air compressor since it provides a larger volume of air.

    Once you get a fine mist coming out of the returns, remove the shop vac and pour RV antifreeze into the skimmer lines. Hook shop vac back up and blow until see some antifreeze start to mist out of the returns. Cap the returns off with winterizing plugs, and move on to the next set.

    I don't have any valves. I have one line going into my pump and I line going into my heater. I have a filter with a multiport valve on top of it. I don't understand how to "get to" the lines. For example I usually go to my skimmer, remove the basket, and take my shop vac, put the leaf blower attachment into the line that is not my main drain, turn on the shop vac and blow out the water back through the pump. Then I take off the pvc line that is attached to my heater and blow out that line. Then I screw in the plugs, along with the rope, and add anti freeze. Thats it? What do you think???

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Re: First attempt at pool closing

    If you have no valves, then using winterizing plugs to isolate the lines while you're blowing with the vac might make the process more thorough.

    As long as you put your multiport on recirculate, then you should have no need to remove the line from the heater....you will effectively blow those lines as well while you're connected to the skimmer.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •