Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello all...new pool owner-step 1 How many gallons?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello all...new pool owner-step 1 How many gallons?

Hello all, enjoying reading and learning from this great site.

I'd like to really get a handle on my pool's moods and I think step 1 should be a proper size.

We've just moved into a new home. The pool was refinished with a pebblecrete and a new pump installed. I have not had the chance to get the Tf100 yet but will soon. I've been maintaining FC in a good range for now, with pool store products and just the test strips.

So I'm unsure if I have an accurate pool gallonage. The pool is an odd shape. I would describe it as a rectangle with the corners cut off. There is also a zig and a zag in the length but I think it equals itself out as its the same on both sides. There is also a spa. The depth is another thing I'm unsure about. Its deep in the middle. I stuck a tape measur in and at one end was 3.5' middle 5.5' and other end 4.5'. This was to the water line, but its been raining quite a bit here and the water level is high.

1.What factor should I use for the formula? The oval # or rectangle? The pool store guy said just a rectangle.
    its 30x14.
    2.How should I measure depth? 3 current depths divied by 3? or 6' below top of tiles at 3 places divided by 3?
    3. Do I need to add fro the spa?

Thanks, The pools store guy told me @ 15k gallons the former home owner thought he remembered it as 12K.

Thanks many more questions to follow!
    Tampa, FL
    In ground 15,000 Gallons, DE filter, Pebble/plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello all...new pool owner-step 1 How many gallons?

Welcome to TFP.

I get about 12,000 gallons give or take.
    Over time of adding chems you'll be able to narrow down the size pretty closely.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

i see something i don't like....those 2 floaters them are BADDDDDDD unless you are on vacation. please do yourself a favor and order the tf100 test kit from tftestkits.net and post up a full set of results....very nice setup btw.......Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

4. Back To Top    #4

I also suggest getting the TF100 test kit. It takes approximately ONE experience of being "pool stored" to make up the entire cost of your test kit. And the test kit will last approximately 2 years. You might need refills of a few items before the 2 years is up, but not a full set. And that is using the test kit several times a week.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the tips.
    @ 12K is what I'm going to start with. (will have to edit my sig).

tf100 will be ordered thursday.
    I figured out the trichlor was probably not the best long term solution pretty quickly after finding the forum.

However I had already bought a big bucket. My results from the pool store water test showed 0 stabilizer, so I figured using the pucks would be ok until there gone.
    Tampa, FL

6. Back To Top    #6

Don't trust the pool store test results because they are seldom correct they are wrong more than right especially cya results....get your test kit and trust your results, until you can test the water I would not use any pucks, I would just use liquid chlorine or bleach until then.....imo....Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

7. Back To Top    #7

Once you get your actual numbers, if your CYA is really zero, or almost non-existant, you could use the pucks to bring up your CYA. Each opening season, we use the pucks for a little while until our CYA is where we want it. Or if it gets low from splash out or heavy rains (lol, like it ever rains heavy in our part of Texas!), we use them as needed to bring CYA back up. It also depends on what else is in the puck, but you should be able to hold on to them for future use.
    32x16 buried Doughboy, 4' shallow - 7' deep
    Pentair Dynamo 1 hp, 2-speed - Pentair 150# SD40 w/zeolite (75#)
    One skimmer/two returns/Aquabot Turbo T2

8. Back To Top    #8

Be sure to check what chemicals are in the pucks. hth, for example, have copper in them. You don't want copper, because it could start turning everything green. As long as they are pure trichlor, and your cya is low, they are fine. In fact, I am using some right now.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you know how long it has been since it was replastered? You will definitely need CYA to hold the chlorine and adding it with the pucks should be fine for now. Keep a close watch on the FC to make sure you are not losing too much. You will not add that much CYA with the pucks by the time you get your test kit, so I believe you will be fine using them until at least you check your CYA with your new test kit.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

10. Back To Top    #10

Mate!

That looks like a sweet setup with all that glass and stuff.

You could swim in that all year round, yeah?
    13,000 gallon; sand filter; inground; fibreglass; pump not sure yet (need to check); Installed over 12 months ago.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for all the great replies.
    tf100 is on the way! ill be sure to post my initial results. The pool was replastered @ 2 months ago.
    I'll be sure to check on the ingredients of my pucks.

Quote Originally Posted by juzzie
    Mate!

That looks like a sweet setup with all that glass and stuff.

You could swim in that all year round, yeah?
    I think that's the light playing tricks mate, it's just a screened in pool. But we can swim pretty much all year around... because we only have about 2 hours of winter here in sweaty Tampa, Fl.
    Tampa, FL