Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Outlet hose leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Outlet hose leak

The outlet hose from filter to pool has sprung a leak.
    Since I live in Michigan and the swimming season is almost gone, is there a quick fix to the hose that will last a few weeks? I do not want to purchase a new one for this short period of time and then have to store it all winter. I would prefer to wait and buy new next spring. Any solutions?

Thank you for your forum and TFP rocks.
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Outlet hose lead

How big of a leak are we talking about? Is this a pinhole or is this something that could fill up a five gallon bucket fairly quickly?

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Outlet hose lead

Same thing happened to me about two weeks back in Northern Illinois (also very fickle) - lost 1200 gallons in about 3 hours when the hose split about an inch slit two inches above the pump when no one was home. One inch to go before it would have been below the skimmer.

Ten layers of duct tape kept things from draining down any more, then for the heck of it I ran the pump for an hour before coming home with a new hose. It was seeping from under the duct tape, but not quickly at all.

It doesn't fix everything, but it sure helps.......
    24 foot AG Vinyl, 10 year old wall, 1 year old liner
    Hayward 240T Sand (free!)
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump (free)
    BBB just ROCKS!

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Outlet hose leak

Right now there are 2 pinhole leaks near the end of the hose where it is flexing coming off the connection. (hope that makes sense)
    These light gray plastic flex hoses only seem to last 2-3 summers at the most.

(oops, just noticed should have been outlet hose leak)
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd try some self-fusing tape likeRescue Tape You should be able to find something like it at a hardware or home improvement store.

It stretches and sticks to itself.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Just a follow up to a previous problem. I used the self fusing tape and it is holding 99%. It is buying us some time until we close the pool next week.
    Thanks for your help.