To add salt now or wait until spring

kyle11

May 17, 2012
We have finished our in ground pool except for concrete and have the water in check. I have a hayward SWG but have not added salt or turned it on yet. Being we will likely only swim for a month if that, I was thinking of waiting until next spring until getting the SWG fired up. We live in north Alabama and are not going to close it down for winter to see how it goes. Others here do and some don't. I figured I could do BBB until next spring especially since as I read wintertime requires less Maintenance as far as chemical go. Would it be worth wasting 6 months of the cells life and only getting to use the pool for 6 weeks. Right now I am adding around 80-100 ounces of bleach a day to keep it at 4ppm and 20-50 ounces of MA every week to get ta and ph down. Also I need to get my cya up to at least 50. Right now it is at 25 , should I go ahead and do that now? Will the winter have any affect on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winter temps have a dramatic affect on chlorine usage. If it was my pool, I would probably get the SWG up and running just so all the bugs will be worked out when you are anxious to swim.

You can certainly do it either way. I would personally rather have everything in working order in the Spring.

I doubt your winter use is going to require the cell to produce the amount of chlorine needed to suck away six months of life from it.

-sent with Tapatalk 2

Another note... If the water temps get too low, some SWG's won't generate anyway.

It's really up to you if you want to get a good idea how it works now before you get to next summer or not. Adding the salt now or later won't matter as far as having to add more in the spring unless you have a lot of rain, or a lot debris and have to backwash & remove a lot of water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.