Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To add salt now or wait until spring

1. Back To Top    #1

To add salt now or wait until spring

We have finished our in ground pool except for concrete and have the water in check. I have a hayward SWG but have not added salt or turned it on yet. Being we will likely only swim for a month if that, I was thinking of waiting until next spring until getting the SWG fired up. We live in north Alabama and are not going to close it down for winter to see how it goes. Others here do and some don't. I figured I could do BBB until next spring especially since as I read wintertime requires less Maintenance as far as chemical go. Would it be worth wasting 6 months of the cells life and only getting to use the pool for 6 weeks. Right now I am adding around 80-100 ounces of bleach a day to keep it at 4ppm and 20-50 ounces of MA every week to get ta and ph down. Also I need to get my cya up to at least 50. Right now it is at 25 , should I go ahead and do that now? Will the winter have any affect on it?

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: To add salt now or wait until spring

Winter temps have a dramatic affect on chlorine usage. If it was my pool, I would probably get the SWG up and running just so all the bugs will be worked out when you are anxious to swim.

You can certainly do it either way. I would personally rather have everything in working order in the Spring.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I doubt your winter use is going to require the cell to produce the amount of chlorine needed to suck away six months of life from it.

-sent with Tapatalk 2
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok thanks for your responses.

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

5. Back To Top    #5

Another note... If the water temps get too low, some SWG's won't generate anyway.

It's really up to you if you want to get a good idea how it works now before you get to next summer or not. Adding the salt now or later won't matter as far as having to add more in the spring unless you have a lot of rain, or a lot debris and have to backwash & remove a lot of water.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits