Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with Balancing - Again...

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with Balancing - Again...

Hi everyone...

I've been balancing through pool calculator for the past month and everything's been generally fine...no algae or cloudiness, but the water seems a bit harsh and I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong or missing something:

Here are my numbers via Taylor 2006 Test:

FC= 1.8 (I know this is low, and I need to shock up)
    CC= 0
    PH= 8.0 (I know this is high, need to add Muriatic Acid)
    TA= 100
    CH= 100
    CYA= 60

So here's my question: I haven't added any borax to the pool since I first started using BBB method. Clearly my Ph has remained high...And I've never added any baking soda either. It seems like my numbers have always been in the ballpark, and the only daily dumps are bleach...and that's it.

I assume this is ok?

One thing about pool calculator that I can't figure out is the borate section. How do I even test for Borate? Isn't that the same thing as the PH test?

Thanks for your help!
    L.
    21,000 Gallons; Filter: Hayward DE 4820 Filter; In Ground Pool; Vinyl Liner; Hayward Super Pump...Don't know flow rate; Approx. 5 years old (by previous owners), New Jersey

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with Balancing - Again...

You test borates with test strips I bought mine from tftestkits.net I try to keep my ph around 7.4 and anytime it gets to 7.8 I lower it back down to around 7.3 or so......Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by number419
    Hi everyone...

I've been balancing through pool calculator for the past month and everything's been generally fine...no algae or cloudiness, but the water seems a bit harsh and I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong or missing something:

Here are my numbers via Taylor 2006 Test:

FC= 1.8 (I know this is low, and I need to shock up)
    Yes, it is low! With your CYA of 60, FC should be maintained between 5 & 9 and never below 5.
    CC= 0
    PH= 8.0 (I know this is high, need to add Muriatic Acid)
    Each time the pH hits 7.8, lower it back to about 7.4.
    TA= 100
    CH= 100
    CYA= 60

So here's my question: I haven't added any borax to the pool since I first started using BBB method. Clearly my Ph has remained high...And I've never added any baking soda either. It seems like my numbers have always been in the ballpark, and the only daily dumps are bleach...and that's it.

I assume this is ok?
    You #'s, CYA, CH & TA are fine as long as you maintain the FC & pH!

One thing about pool calculator that I can't figure out is the borate section. How do I even test for Borate?
    You would use borate test strips, but if you have not added borates, you have no need to test for them.

Isn't that the same thing as the PH test? Nope. Not at all. You can read about borates in Pool School.

Thanks for your help!
    L.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Harsh is probably the pH. Soften it up with Muriatic acid. And get that FC up, or your next thread will be about your green pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, thanks for all you help!
    I guess other than letting the FC get so low, I'm doing everything else fine. I'll shock it tomorrow...
    I'll read up about borates so I can better understand it...
    Thanks again!
    21,000 Gallons; Filter: Hayward DE 4820 Filter; In Ground Pool; Vinyl Liner; Hayward Super Pump...Don't know flow rate; Approx. 5 years old (by previous owners), New Jersey

6. Back To Top    #6

Let's make sure you're using terminology correctly... No need to "shock," which is the process required to clear a dirty pool. All you're doing is adding a maintenance dose of chlorine to get back into your normal range. (BTW, you should be adding a maintenance dose every 1-2 days, and never ever let that FC number get below 5)

33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry