Please help - pool is a green mess!

Aug 9, 2012
We have an above ground pool, approx. 14,000 gal with an SWG. All was well until about a week and a half ago. We had about 50 hours of rain with hurricane Isaac. Also, the bearings went out on our pump. Now it is a green mess. We have been putting in muratic acid since yesterday to get the ph down so we can shock but it hasn't budged much. Changed the pump out today. Also added CYA yesterday but know that takes a while to show up. Here are our test results:

Ph 8.2
CL 0
CYA 0
TA 110
Salt 2100

Feeling a little overwhelmed - can anyone help?

Thanks,
Courtney

Make sure you are not using "safety" Muratic Acid. It takes alot more of that to get the same results. Don' ask how I know that.. Get some good stuff from the pool store - or ???

I bought my MA from Walmart - it was the the "safety" kind. :hammer:

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Yes, get the pH under control first. Have you found the PoolCalculator.com to help with the doses?

What size/gallons is the pool? We can help you calculate/verify the dose if you would like.

court475 said:
Yes - I did use the pool calculator. Great tool! Does it usually take a while to bring the ph down? The pool is a little over 14,000 gallons.
Actually, it should only take a little while unless the pH is actually higher than 8.2. You should be able to calc a dose to drop from 8.2 to about 7.5, add the muriatic adic, circulate, retest in an hour and should be on/near target.

Are you adding the TA to the calculator?

Regardless, keep adding/testing until you reach your pH target.

Well it could have been higher than that to start. It was at least 8.4 last night. Then 8.2 tonight. We were gone all day so didn't get to work on it but added some more when I got home. Will check again.

Ok - just checked and the ph is way down! Last question for the night - should I throw some chlorine in there now or just wait until tomorrow evening when I can continuously add and test?

court475 said:
Ok - just checked and the ph is way down! Last question for the night - should I throw some chlorine in there now or just wait until tomorrow evening when I can continuously add and test?
I suggest you wait until the pH is under control and then start the shock process as outlined in Pool School.

ETA: If "way down" means that the pH is in the low 7's, then I'd start the shock process tonight!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.