Noisy pump

SAB

Aug 22, 2012
For about a week now my pump has been making more noise than it use to. The pool is only 2 months old. The pump is the one that came with the pool, an 18' Summer Escapes above ground steel frame pool. I'm going to get in touch with Polygroup about it but I wonder if anyone else encountered this? The noise is really bothersome, I can't have the pump running when we are outside and I can't open my windows because it's just too annoying (this being said the noise of the pump has always bothered me, but it's definitely louder than it used to be).

Hi SAB,
Welcome to the forum! :wave:

These look to be the same pools that Intex sells, same pumps too, just slight differences in them. So they're probably all the same manufacturer.

Those pumps are just plain downright noisy, period. Mine is about 15ft. from my back door and I don't really notice it, it runs 24/7 because they filter poorly.
Some days I really think it sounds noisier than other days.
I haven't been around the other Intex pumps, their bigger cartridge models or the sand filter units, so I can't comment as to how noisy they are, but I do know that this pump is much much louder than just about any pump I have ever been around, even a high flow, in-ground pool pump for a 50,000 gallon pool.

It just has a lot of vibration, a very rattling, almost tinny sound to it.

If it is so bad that you can't even have your windows open, because it's that annoying, I would say maybe it is starting to fail. Especially if it's much noisier than before.
All owners of these cartridge based Intex type pumps should plan on replacing them with something better, they seldom last very long and you're lucky to get a season or 2 out of them.
I am planning on replacing mine next season.

That aside, there are some things you can check, all of this should be done as regular or periodic maintenance anyway. It's a bit long, due to detail so as to be clear instructions, so please bear with me.

I would ask if you have it just sitting on the ground, dirt/grass, or if it is on a pad/stand of some sort, maybe wood, a deck? Wood can telescope and amplify the sound quite enormously, like a wooden drum.

One thing I would check, as I have had this happen, as well as others here, check for any sort of clog or blockage in the inlet, suction side of the pump. Check on the pump itself, take the hose off & look in the inlet screen/grid, then check where the suction hose attaches on the pool. There's a grate in there, just like on the pump, if you have a skimmer, you'll need to unhook the hose from the inside, in the water, then stick your finger in there at the wall fitting and check for hair, leaves, bits of junk, etc.... You may need to un-thread an adapter in there, or a plastic screen, like a drain screen in a sink and check behind that and in the outlet hole. Check all around that area as well as at the bottom of the skimmer you will find a grate too.

That's the general idea and some areas where things can get clogged up, thus making the pump work harder and sound noisier.
Also when your cartridge gets dirty, the pump gets louder since there's more resistance in water flow.

Shut off the pump, elevate it above the hose inlet & return on the pool so it doesn't spray everywhere, then open it up and take your cartridge out and spray it with a high pressure wand, not a pressure washer, this will damage it, just a brass nozzle or the like, go at it from a 45degree angle, doing one 1/2 middle to end and rotating all the way around, then flip it end over end and do the other end. Get it nice and white again, or as close as you can, spreading the pleats gently with your fingers to get junk in between, focusing on any trouble spots. Give it a once over to be sure, then place it back in there, making sure it seats at the bottom over the plastic hub, then tighten the lid down, don't wrench on it, just snug is good, it'll tighten up more on it's own.
I would recommend putting some Vaseline, or better yet, some clear silicone grease on the big black O-Ring, a nice bead all the way around it, top & bottom. Now, very important, bleed all the air out of the pump by opening the top bleeder valve while gently rocking the pump back and forth, still while the pump is off until it no longer spurts air, just water. Now close the bleed valve, then fire it back up.

Simply having air in there can also cause this. In the past I have found that bleeding it twice is necessary, do the initial bleed while off, then seal it up and turn it on, run it for say 5 seconds, then shut it off and bleed it again, seal it up, then fire it back up again.
However, once I fixed my clog, I was good on the double bleed, just having to do it once from there on out.
Never open the bleed valve or pump lid while it's running, you could fry your pump by letting in air.

Bleeding is always necessary any time you shut it off, or open it up or do any sort of maintenance to the pool. Pump should be off when the pool is occupied as it can suck air due to the water movement.
Water is needed to lubricate the pump and cool it, without it or with air in there, it's very noisy and can prematurely fail.

Lastly, if you have a skimmer, always make sure it's level and making a cascading vortex inside, as much as you can get it to do so. It has to be frequently adjusted as the water level changes. The height of the basket and it's housing, in relation to the floating ring determines how much vortex and suction you get for skimming action.

See my signature for some more tips on what I have done with my filter/pump.

Hope that helps.

Sorry for the delayed THANK YOU for your very detailed response y_not

When I called Polygroup about the pump they immediately offered me a replacement under warranty. (I'm lucky it failed now and not early next season as the warranty is only 6 months.) By the time I received it we had already drained the pool so I'll try it out next year. I will keep in mind all your advice (in particular about turning the pump off while swimming, sometimes before it was noisy I would forget to unplug it before we swam, also the part about bleeding as I didn't know that).

Glad to hear you got it replaced and free of charge at that. YAAAYYYY!! :whoot:
Do plan in your budget on a better pump at some point, you'll be much happier in the end and so will your pool.

Have you looked at Pool School, are you planning on starting the BBB method and ordering a test kit?
It's the best money you'll ever spend, trust me. This coming from someone who hates spending money. I'm very thrifty, but not a cheapskate, just wise with my cash. ;)

Stick around over the winter, there's lots to learn here and many very knowledgeable people who will happily answer your questions. No need to even have a functioning pool to learn here and ask questions. We're a very sociable, eager group. We're almost like family here. :D

Have a safe and happy winter. Here's to spring, warmer weather and fun in the sun & in the water!!

What is a cascading vortex , is it like when you flush toilet? because if it is, i thought from reading here that did not want to have that effect and to place a rock in skimmer baskit to interupt the vortex.

I think he is taking about the floating skimmer for AG pools that due not have a true skimmer. You do not want a vortex in a regular skimmer.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jblizzle said:
I think he is taking about the floating skimmer for AG pools that due not have a true skimmer. You do not want a vortex in a regular skimmer.

Yes, that is correct. It really can't make any sort of whirlpool, like a toilet flushing, just water cascading over the side of the blue floating ring, into the center making a torrid, somewhat swirling top motion. But mostly it's an under the water swirl, where you can see a leaf enter, spin around violently in a somewhat random pattern, then get sucked down and spiral to the bottom. That's the best way I can think to describe it.

I did notice that if you take the return jet apart, so it's just the black rubber fitting that the hose goes over on the outside, you can't leave it this way as it'd begin to leak or the hose would come off, but if you do this. WOWIE!! SUCTION!!
I guess it reduces the backpressure so much so that the pump is free to pull more water on the suction side. Water exiting faster, means water can enter faster.
The skimmer begins to suck like mad and you get a serious vortex, but still no official whirlpool, just a crazy water rapids effect. I plan to modify it and start a thread with my modification. :)

PS. Why don't you want a whirlpool in the skimmer on an IGP or std. skimmer used on an AGP?
Is that because it draws air into the pump?
I have heard this stated before, so curious now that you bring it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.