Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new pool - first test

1. Back To Top    #1

new pool - first test

Hi, looks like a great forum! first post here...

My first test results included TA: 230 (high) and ph: 7.5. Everything else was right in the normal range. From what I understand, TA is more or less directly related to ph in that you use acid to lower them both. So the question is: How do I lower the TA into a more normal range and still keep the ph up?

I added 2 lbs of ph reducer noting that it would likely affect the ph a lot. That only lowered my TA ppm by 20 to 210ppm. It reduced the ph to 7.1 or so and you certainly can feel that when you swim! I see by this writeup: that I might need aeration? It seems like i have a long way to go to get the TA in the right range, so it seemed worth it to ask.

Thank you in advance for you help!!
    13k gal, sand w/ 1hp 40gpm pump, AG

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tallahassee, FL

Re: new pool - first test

Welcome to TFP!

You get to play the "up and down" game with PH/TA. Now that you have the PH down you find a way to aerate it. I have one of these ... +sprinkler

I turn it so that it is over the water when I need to get my PH up. Otherwise I just leave it down to circulate the water. It only takes a couple of days to get it back up to 7.8. Once it does I start all over again. Add acid to bring PH down. Aerate to bring it back up. It worked for me.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

Re: new pool - first test

Welcome to TFP!

Here is the process to lower your TA. Keep in mind also that for some, getting the TA down takes a while...from several days to a few weeks depending on how effectivce your aeration is.

10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT