Couple of questions since winter is coming

hrddrv

Aug 13, 2011
Gainesville, fl
OK Dumb questions because I am tired and would like some clarification.

1. Since I am about to drain and put pool away in a few weeks I would like a faster way than the drain plug. This took close to 48 hrs all together last time I did this. I want something faster. Do most of you use a sump pump? Do you rent or buy one? If buy would the cheapest one work ok and how much faster would it be to drain?

2. OK this is the really dumb question. I am still about 2 inches off level. I just want to make sure I am digging the correct side. I need to dig the side that the water is low on correct? Meaning if my water is high on the right side I need to dig on the left side to level it out. I tried using the board and level in a circle last time and that helped but somehow this did not get me exact.

hrddrv said:
1. Since I am about to drain and put pool away in a few weeks I would like a faster way than the drain plug. This took close to 48 hrs all together last time I did this. I want something faster. Do most of you use a sump pump? Do you rent or buy one? If buy would the cheapest one work ok and how much faster would it be to drain?
Start a siphon with your vacuum hose. The other way is to start draining two days before you plan to take it down.

Thanks everyone. And I was hoping someone would get winter is coming. I had just seen a commercial for Game of Thrones. I was told that I might be able to rent a pump from Lowe's/Home Depot so I might do that. I really do not want to wait 2 days with all the leaves and pine straw that would fall in those days like last year. As far as leveling again. I think that is going to be my winter project. If I can get everything with in a half inch I will be very happy. I just want this to last 2 more years till we start looking at a new house with a pool.

Get yourself a good level and a 2x4 cut the size of your pool.. as you level out the area, you can double check it as you go. Inexpensive and no guesswork.

As far as draining the pool... I would get a couple of hoses going and syphon it out as someone else suggested. Why spend the $ on something that you can do for free w/a little patience. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
msgtdan said:
Deflate the ring and lay down on the side, lots of water will come out. Use the drain and/or siphons to finish the job.
Will not do this. I do not want another mess like I had when I had a over flow during the 11 inches of rain we had. Not too mention my son was hanging on the side once and it did similar and washed away a lot of my rubber mulch.

Will not do this. I do not want another mess like I had when I had a over flow during the 11 inches of rain we had. Not too mention my son was hanging on the side once and it did similar and washed away a lot of my rubber mulch.

Didn't say it wouldn't be messy :-D , but it is quick :lol: .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.