Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Couple of questions since winter is coming

1. Back To Top    #1

Couple of questions since winter is coming

OK Dumb questions because I am tired and would like some clarification.

1. Since I am about to drain and put pool away in a few weeks I would like a faster way than the drain plug. This took close to 48 hrs all together last time I did this. I want something faster. Do most of you use a sump pump? Do you rent or buy one? If buy would the cheapest one work ok and how much faster would it be to drain?

2. OK this is the really dumb question. I am still about 2 inches off level. I just want to make sure I am digging the correct side. I need to dig the side that the water is low on correct? Meaning if my water is high on the right side I need to dig on the left side to level it out. I tried using the board and level in a circle last time and that helped but somehow this did not get me exact.
    12"x33" Summer Escapes AG Ring Quick set 1590 Gallons (Gift for my son by Grand-parents)
    Intex Krystal Clear Model 633 2500 GPH "B" Cartridge

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Couple of questions since winter is coming

Think about it........why would you dig the low side even lower?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

And yet ... Winter is coming.

(What? No Game of Thrones fans?)
    I laugh—to disguise the tears.
    Size 15,000 gal 510′² | Filtration DE 48′² | Sanitation SWG+O₃ | Placement in-ground (IG) | Finish pebble
    Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS main WhisperFlo WF-28 feature | Location Dallas TX US (33ºN 97ºW)

4. Back To Top    #4

lol nutjob. I was thinking the same thing. Above ground pools in Winterfell?
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Hrddrv,

In answer to your second question, YES you need to dig on the left side. Your water is actually level all the way around. Your WALL is lower on the right side, so you need to dig down on the left side!
    16' x 32' IG vinyl liner w/ hopper bottom (12,500 gal), Single-speed 1 HP Sta-Rite pump, and 300# Cristal-Flo sand filter, TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by hrddrv
    1. Since I am about to drain and put pool away in a few weeks I would like a faster way than the drain plug. This took close to 48 hrs all together last time I did this. I want something faster. Do most of you use a sump pump? Do you rent or buy one? If buy would the cheapest one work ok and how much faster would it be to drain?
    Start a siphon with your vacuum hose. The other way is to start draining two days before you plan to take it down.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone. And I was hoping someone would get winter is coming. I had just seen a commercial for Game of Thrones. I was told that I might be able to rent a pump from Lowe's/Home Depot so I might do that. I really do not want to wait 2 days with all the leaves and pine straw that would fall in those days like last year. As far as leveling again. I think that is going to be my winter project. If I can get everything with in a half inch I will be very happy. I just want this to last 2 more years till we start looking at a new house with a pool.
    12"x33" Summer Escapes AG Ring Quick set 1590 Gallons (Gift for my son by Grand-parents)

8. Back To Top    #8

Get yourself a good level and a 2x4 cut the size of your pool.. as you level out the area, you can double check it as you go. Inexpensive and no guesswork.

As far as draining the pool... I would get a couple of hoses going and syphon it out as someone else suggested. Why spend the $ on something that you can do for free w/a little patience. ?
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

9. Back To Top    #9

Deflate the ring and lay down on the side, lots of water will come out. Use the drain and/or siphons to finish the job.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

10. Back To Top    #10

Better hurry.. Winter is coming. lol
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by msgtdan
    Deflate the ring and lay down on the side, lots of water will come out. Use the drain and/or siphons to finish the job.
    Will not do this. I do not want another mess like I had when I had a over flow during the 11 inches of rain we had. Not too mention my son was hanging on the side once and it did similar and washed away a lot of my rubber mulch.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Glock
    Better hurry.. Winter is coming. lol
    I still have at least 3 weeks of swim time left. LOL. Actually went out tonight and with the wind it was a little chilly. Pool temp said 74. So it might be coming down sooner than I want.

13. Back To Top    #13

74? Holy cow, mine is at 84 and I freeze my baggettes off at that!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Glock
    74? Holy cow, mine is at 84 and I freeze my baggettes off at that!
    It was in the evening and has been cloudy/rainy the past few days/weeks. There are a lot of springs around here that stay around that temp so you get used to it. I am sure that this weekend during the day it will be around 78 or so.

15. Back To Top    #15

You can come jump in mine, I think it made it up to 68 yesterday. We've had some really cool nites the past few weeks to bring it down to about 64, it's getting closed up this week.
    Mona SE MN
    24' round 48" high AG
    Meteor Sand Filter
    1.5 HP pump

16. Back To Top    #16

Will not do this. I do not want another mess like I had when I had a over flow during the 11 inches of rain we had. Not too mention my son was hanging on the side once and it did similar and washed away a lot of my rubber mulch.
    Didn't say it wouldn't be messy , but it is quick .
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320