not sure what is happening here

Apr 19, 2012
When i run my pool without my polaris65 it will accumulate fine algae or pollen on the bottom even after manually vacuuming to waste the next day with pump running stuff is back on the bottom. When i turn the pool off and not run it over night then there is no accumulation on the bottom, none whatsoever. Then i turn the pool on and within 3 hours or so there is Crud on the bottom again. I have repeatedly vacuumed to waste. This seems like a filter issue. It is a 200 lb sand filter with a dual speed aqua tools 1.5 hp pump. Any insight on what the corn is going on here would be appreciated.

Again, this does not happen when the filter and pump are off. Only happens when it is running.

I have always done the bbb method even before reading it on here. I was an nspi tech back in the 90's.

3.5 fc
.1. Tc
7.6 ph
35 cya
160 ch
120 ta

'd be looking at your filter. The normal flow rates put a 300lb filter at its high end with a 1HP pump. I'd think a typical 200lb filter would be over-supplied by a significant amount by your pump on high.

I see. Back in the day i do not remember much about dual speed motors on the pumps. I assume this is a post 90's development? Back then as long as the pump did not cause channelization and filter pressure was good it was good to go. The single speed 1.5 hp pumps were commonly paired with 200 lb sand filters back then. I will say this, when i bought my pool, the pump had a label on it indicating 2.25 hp, but i noticed it was not original to the motor so i tore it off and that is where i saw it was actually 1.5 hp. The store i bought it from added the label with the higher hp indication. I was initially inclined to believe the 2.25 hp was for hi speed and the 1.5 hp was lo, but when i have it on lo i have zero filter pressure so that cannot be it. Lo is only good for vacuuming in my opinion. When on high it comes up where i expect to around 13 psi.

What is the service factor listed? What size pipes in/out and how many? I have a 220 lbs sand filter and a 1.5 hp (sf 1.0) hayward pump.

Have you checked for channeling? It sounds like you have but it was not clear. I would get take socks and rubber band them around the returns to catch debris and see what that did 1st.

Also, two speed pump should filter fine on low, vacuum usually takes high. How is the flow on each setting? I wonder if your gauge is bad.

-sent with Tapatalk 2

UnderWaterVanya said:
What is the service factor listed? What size pipes in/out and how many? I have a 220 lbs sand filter and a 1.5 hp (sf 1.0) hayward pump.

Have you checked for channeling? It sounds like you have but it was not clear. I would get take socks and rubber band them around the returns to catch debris and see what that did 1st.

Also, two speed pump should filter fine on low, vacuum usually takes high. How is the flow on each setting? I wonder if your gauge is bad.

-sent with Tapatalk 2

I checked the gauge, it is fine. When i manually vacuum i have to on low, otherwise the bristle vac head i have sucks down to the liner. It vacuums quite nicely on lo. It is an abg pool so just one suction and one return, 1.5 inch plumbing.

How old is the sand in the filter. If you haven't always had this problem, and it's been more than 3-5 years a sand change is probably in order. There are many things that can happen to sand over time including channeling as mentioned above, and a layer of debris trapped under the top layer of sand. When we have pool customers reporting symptoms like yours replacing the sand usually does the trick. If your sand is new, then we'd have to look for other contributing factors.

Sand may get dirty and it may get channeled but these can be solved without changing it out. Tests seem to show you can't tell new from old in microscope.

-sent with Tapatalk 2

If you ever get the change, watch the sand being changed in a filter. It's pretty obvious when pulling out a layer of debris embedded in the bed of sand that there is a reason to remove it and add clean sand.

SandiM said:
If you ever get the change, watch the sand being changed in a filter. It's pretty obvious when pulling out a layer of debris embedded in the bed of sand that there is a reason to remove it and add clean sand.
Read up on how they recommend cleaning and try it before dismissing it. Changing the sand should help but it is more work and not supported by science. All the sand in the filter was already millions of years old - it can get filthy, but not worn out.

-sent with Tapatalk 2

SandiM -- read around here a little before you start spouting standard pool store recommendations that have already been discounted with science and in real life pools.

There reasons to change the sand but it's not because it has a "layer of debris" any debris can be removed form the sand by a good cleaning. Calcification is about the only reason to change the sand. Another reason is if the level is down and there's only a recommended weight of sand and not level, then new sand may be needed to ensure a proper level. Beyond that there's not much reason to change the sand.

There are microscopic photos of new and many years old sand and there's no discernible difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.