SWG and Bleach

Oct 14, 2009
Why do the pool stores caution using bleach with a SWG? I occasionally add bleach to quickly raise the chlorine level or after heavy use. Can the bleach cause any damage to the pool?

Thanks!!

Call me a cynic but I think its because they're not selling you the bleach. :roll:
I do as you do- use liquid bleach when I want instant increased chlorine levels but otherwise let me SWG toodle along at its own pace keeping things at a safe baseline level.

The only possibly valid reason to not use a hypochlorite source of chlorine with an SWG is if you were to shock to a higher level without lowering the pH first. By shocking with hypochlorite, the pH rises and that could cause more scaling in the SWG cell, but if you lower the pH first then you minimize this effect (and if you are using 50 ppm Borates then the pH rises by about half as much). If you are just adding enough to help out the SWG keep up for some unusual demand or until you get to adjusting the on-time, there should be no problem.

Just remember that when adding a concentrated chemical such as chlorine or acid to the pool, you should do so by pouring slowly over a return flow (preferably in the deep end, especially if you have a floor drain) and then lightly brush the wall and floor in the area where you poured to ensure thorough mixing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.