Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG and Bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG and Bleach

Why do the pool stores caution using bleach with a SWG? I occasionally add bleach to quickly raise the chlorine level or after heavy use. Can the bleach cause any damage to the pool?

East TN
    13,000 gal San Juan Fiberglass Pool;SWG; GoldLine Pro Logic Controls
    Hayward Sand Filter; Hayward Max-Flo XL Pump;Polaris 380; Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Raypak Gas Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Re: SWG and Bleach

Call me a cynic but I think its because they're not selling you the bleach.
    I do as you do- use liquid bleach when I want instant increased chlorine levels but otherwise let me SWG toodle along at its own pace keeping things at a safe baseline level.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: SWG and Bleach

The only possibly valid reason to not use a hypochlorite source of chlorine with an SWG is if you were to shock to a higher level without lowering the pH first. By shocking with hypochlorite, the pH rises and that could cause more scaling in the SWG cell, but if you lower the pH first then you minimize this effect (and if you are using 50 ppm Borates then the pH rises by about half as much). If you are just adding enough to help out the SWG keep up for some unusual demand or until you get to adjusting the on-time, there should be no problem.

Just remember that when adding a concentrated chemical such as chlorine or acid to the pool, you should do so by pouring slowly over a return flow (preferably in the deep end, especially if you have a floor drain) and then lightly brush the wall and floor in the area where you poured to ensure thorough mixing.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"