Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often do you "scrub" the walls of a Fiberglass pool ??

1. Back To Top    #1

How often do you "scrub" the walls of a Fiberglass pool ??

We have an older Fiberglass pool ... There is definitely a slight build-up of some dirt or something (calcium??) (it's not algae) - I rub it with my finger and it does come off. What kind of general scrubbing maintenance should be done, how often, and what would I use ?? It has not been done all summer.

Thanks
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often do you "scrub" the walls of a Fiberglass pool

People typically brush once a week. It doesn't seem to matter what surface.

I recommend a wall whale. It has nylon brushes and the fin applies the downward pressure. All you do is push it back and forth. It saves a lot of back, shoulder, and arm aches.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you .. me bad -- more research in Pool School revealed this to me ... I'm looking into the Whale Tail on Amazon as we write.
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

I try to brush at least once a week with my wall whale just because I understand the importance even if I've never really seen a difference in the pool other than never having had algae.

I also have this big textured blue glove that I use to scrub the scum line with. Its nylon loop fabric (a bit like velcro?) and its handy because I can just swim along the sides and scrub away which is far more fun than using a brush from outside the pool.
    I purchased it at a pool store and I don't know the brand name. I need another.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow. I wish I could only brush once a week. It's dusty here in the desert so my pool gets a brown haze on the bottom every couple of days. I sweep about 3 to 4 times per week. We also get dust storms occasionally. That sucks but it's actually kind of interesting watching your pool turn brown in minutes right before your eyes.
    I'm picky though. I see a little discoloration on my plaster pool and I'm brushing the entire pool. I can't remember the last time I didn't brush for 3 days in a row. I'm guessing last March.
    The dust around here is one of the few drawbacks to living in the desert.
    Mesa Arizona. Old school 26,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with sand filter built in 1984.

6. Back To Top    #6

Figured I would bump this rather than make a new thread. Any other brushes that people have used besides the Wall Whale? Just want to see what options are out there.
    18,000 gallon in ground, plaster - completed 6/29/12
    Jandy 340 sq ft cartridge filter
    Jandy variable-speed 2 HP pump
    Jandy LXi 400 heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA-PS4