Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Flow / Pump too fast?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Flow / Pump too fast?

Ive been reading the pool school, bought the recommended test kit and understand the test kit, and finally replaced all of my orings and have perfect suction and I'm 99 % i have no suction leaks. My problem now is that I cant get my filter to filter - now that my pump seems to be running better than ever, its working too good i guess.

It seems like the water is shooting in and out and bypassing the catridge filter. I'll let the air bleed out and 5 minutes later go bleed it out again and again, etc. Its like the water is going out faster than it comes in if that makes any sense. If i look at my jets, i see the algae i'm vacuuming up shooting right out instantly. I did have to buy a new pool motor and i bought one at Leslies - one of the Ecotech variable speed motors 3.5 hp at 100 %. Maybe its too powerful?
    TEST KIT: Taylor Technologies K-2006C

POOL: 33,000 gal 20'x40' IGP, Vinyl, 1.5 HP Two Stage Pump Motor, 340 sq.ft. Jandy CL340 Cartridge Filter, Jandy Aqua Pure PLC1400 SWG, Polaris 280, AquaLink RS By Jandy Control Center with Jandy PDA Model #8265

JACUZZI: 320 gal Caldera Spa Paradise Series Martinique with OEM Aqua Sun Zone - XL-30AE Ozonator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Flow / Pump too fast?

what size of the filter? It would have to be huge to use that pump any where closer to full speed.

What happens when you turn the speed down ?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If air is getting in to your system, you haven't solved the suction side air leaks. That's the only source for air.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

hmm i guess - i'll be checking around for more leaks. It has to be it - could an air leak in my filter housing cause an issue or is it always before the impeller?
    TEST KIT: Taylor Technologies K-2006C

POOL: 33,000 gal 20'x40' IGP, Vinyl, 1.5 HP Two Stage Pump Motor, 340 sq.ft. Jandy CL340 Cartridge Filter, Jandy Aqua Pure PLC1400 SWG, Polaris 280, AquaLink RS By Jandy Control Center with Jandy PDA Model #8265

JACUZZI: 320 gal Caldera Spa Paradise Series Martinique with OEM Aqua Sun Zone - XL-30AE Ozonator

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Always before the impeller. Air cannot be drawn in on the pressure side.

A water leak (pump running) is pressure side and air in the system is a suction side leak.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ke263565
    I did have to buy a new pool motor and i bought one at Leslies - one of the Ecotech variable speed motors 3.5 hp at 100 %. Maybe its too powerful?
    So what speed are you running? Too high and it can damage the filter not to mention drawing in air on the suction side.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

I am a fairly new pool owner - with an older pool. When I took over the pool there was no one to explain anything. My pump basket always had a little air in it until yesterday. Both suction side valves were partially closed, and when I opened them both, the air magically
    was gone.

The point if this is that tiny suction leaks can exist and lowering the pressure relative to the supply helps. Maybe turning down the pump speed will eliminate the problem - should be an easy test.
    -sent with Tapatalk 2
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump