I need to get a Pool Cleaner, I need some recommendations

Hurricane Gio

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2010
Coral Gables, FL
I have a 8K plaster pool and I would like to get a cleaner for it. Not looking for the most expensive, but not necessarily the cheapest.
Should I get one that scrubs with brushes or just suction? I want it to clean the tile line as well.

I also would like something that is reliable and won't breakdown in a few weeks and will actually clean decently. Mainly dirt and small debris like leaves.

Our pool builder recommended a Great White Pool Cleaner

thanks

Re: I need to get a Pool Cleaner, I need some recommendation

Had I to do it over again after all these years, I would go with a robot. I think that they give you the best return on investment.

I HIGHLY reccommend a dolphin diagnostic unit....We have lots and lots of trees surrounding our pool, I sometimes would run the robot 3 times in a 24hour period..and this thing ROCKS!! it cleans everything! I opened this past spring to a swamp as well. I started shocking, skimming and dropped the Dolphin into the murky depths, and it battled it ALL. I am a true believe in this machine. I've had many including: Pool Rover, Kleen Machine, Verro, etc. This one is the best.

Hurricane Gio said:
Anyone else?

Have you read this?
pool-school/automatic_pool_cleaners

I have a Polaris 380 which requires a dedicated booster pump and a return that is setup for this. It does a good job - particularly on smaller debris but I understand that robots filter more fine particles. Honestly I have no basis for comparison. If you don't have a return that could be switched over to this purpose I would think a robot or suction side cleaner would be better.

I can't speak about robots, but I love my Polaris 280. It needs a dedicated return line to the pool and a booster pump, but my pool has never been vacuumed and it stays free of all dirt, leaves and debris. I run it for about 1.25 hours a day.

Hurricane Gio said:
I don't think I have a booster pump, but I do have a dedicated vacuum line/return.
Sounds like a suction side cleaner would be best... However you could convert the vac line if it is dedicated and you wanted.

-sent with Tapatalk 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I have a two wheel cleaner from thepoolcleaner for a 16k gallon pool and it has worked flawlessly for almost 2 years now. I will soon have to replace the tires. It doesn't scrub anything, just sucks up all the debris that my pool gets, dirt and small leaves. I usually have it set so that it climbs about 1/2-3/4 of my 8' deep end wall. I could adjust it so it will climb higher, but it will usually go above the water line and suck in air.

I don't know of any cleaner that will clean the tile line, if anyone knows of one please list it. Manual scrubbing with a magic eraser is what I use for the tile.

I have a Hayward navigator and it always seems to have something wrong with it. It has very small parts and moving feet. Stupid little springs in feet have broken. Other things as well. My pool builder had recommended a great white. Think pentair makes it. A friend of mine has one and has had no issues in 5 years. I will try one of those next time.

nismostate said:
i have a kreepy krawler and it gets stuck around the same spot a lot of times and tends to miss a lot of spots. wish i went with a polaris 280 but i dont have a booster pump.

My Polaris 380 gets stuck a lot in the same places - maybe just a function of these cleaners in general.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.