Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I need to get a Pool Cleaner, I need some recommendations

1. Back To Top    #1

I need to get a Pool Cleaner, I need some recommendations

I have a 8K plaster pool and I would like to get a cleaner for it. Not looking for the most expensive, but not necessarily the cheapest.
    Should I get one that scrubs with brushes or just suction? I want it to clean the tile line as well.

I also would like something that is reliable and won't breakdown in a few weeks and will actually clean decently. Mainly dirt and small debris like leaves.

Our pool builder recommended a Great White Pool Cleaner

thanks
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains
    Pool's completed build 2/2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I need to get a Pool Cleaner, I need some recommendation

Had I to do it over again after all these years, I would go with a robot. I think that they give you the best return on investment.

3. Back To Top    #3

I HIGHLY reccommend a dolphin diagnostic unit....We have lots and lots of trees surrounding our pool, I sometimes would run the robot 3 times in a 24hour period..and this thing ROCKS!! it cleans everything! I opened this past spring to a swamp as well. I started shocking, skimming and dropped the Dolphin into the murky depths, and it battled it ALL. I am a true believe in this machine. I've had many including: Pool Rover, Kleen Machine, Verro, etc. This one is the best.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Anyone else?
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Gio
    Anyone else?
    Have you read this?
    pool-school/automatic_pool_cleaners

I have a Polaris 380 which requires a dedicated booster pump and a return that is setup for this. It does a good job - particularly on smaller debris but I understand that robots filter more fine particles. Honestly I have no basis for comparison. If you don't have a return that could be switched over to this purpose I would think a robot or suction side cleaner would be better.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I can't speak about robots, but I love my Polaris 280. It needs a dedicated return line to the pool and a booster pump, but my pool has never been vacuumed and it stays free of all dirt, leaves and debris. I run it for about 1.25 hours a day.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't think I have a booster pump, but I do have a dedicated vacuum line/return.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Gio
    I don't think I have a booster pump, but I do have a dedicated vacuum line/return.
    Sounds like a suction side cleaner would be best... However you could convert the vac line if it is dedicated and you wanted.

-sent with Tapatalk 2

9. Back To Top    #9

Any thoughts on the Hayward Navigator?

10. Back To Top    #10

I have heard that http://www.thepoolcleaner.com sells a good cleaner.

EDIT: Added this thread info: poolvergnuegen-the-poolcleaner-t6482.html

-sent with Tapatalk 2

11. Back To Top    #11

I have a two wheel cleaner from thepoolcleaner for a 16k gallon pool and it has worked flawlessly for almost 2 years now. I will soon have to replace the tires. It doesn't scrub anything, just sucks up all the debris that my pool gets, dirt and small leaves. I usually have it set so that it climbs about 1/2-3/4 of my 8' deep end wall. I could adjust it so it will climb higher, but it will usually go above the water line and suck in air.

I don't know of any cleaner that will clean the tile line, if anyone knows of one please list it. Manual scrubbing with a magic eraser is what I use for the tile.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

12. Back To Top    #12

I have a Hayward navigator and it always seems to have something wrong with it. It has very small parts and moving feet. Stupid little springs in feet have broken. Other things as well. My pool builder had recommended a great white. Think pentair makes it. A friend of mine has one and has had no issues in 5 years. I will try one of those next time.

13. Back To Top    #13

i have a kreepy krawler and it gets stuck around the same spot a lot of times and tends to miss a lot of spots. wish i went with a polaris 280 but i dont have a booster pump.
    11,000 gal Fiberglass IG, Jacuzzi sand filter, Pentair Superflo 1.5hp 2speed pump, Hayward AQR15, Maytronics Active20, K-2006 kit, K1766, SpeedStir

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by nismostate
    i have a kreepy krawler and it gets stuck around the same spot a lot of times and tends to miss a lot of spots. wish i went with a polaris 280 but i dont have a booster pump.
    My Polaris 380 gets stuck a lot in the same places - maybe just a function of these cleaners in general.