Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA- Stabilizer/Conditioner

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA- Stabilizer/Conditioner

I am curious what products can be used to raise CYA levels. I have seen a lot of threads concerning this, but have yet to see any products by name. I live in the Louisville, KY area and my pool gets full sun all day. What CYA level should I be shooting for? Vinyl liner pool.
    16x32 IG vinyl
    24000 gallons
    Hayward super pump 1.5HP
    Hayward Pro Series Filter S244T
    3 returns, bottom drain, skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2
    You can buy granulated CYA, or you can use trichlor or dichlor for chlorination until the CYA gets where you want it. I'd shoot for 40ppm and see how it goes.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    You can go into any pool store and ask for CYA and they'll know what you're talking about. At Leslies they sell a Leslies brand that says Conditioner I believe. I'm guessing you don't have a SWG so you should have between 30-50.
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

4. Back To Top    #4

I buy mine at WalMart in the pool section, its called Stabilizer, that's what its called at my pool store also.

If you ask for Stabilizer they will know what your asking about.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

5. Back To Top    #5
    It is usually called Stabilizer or Conditioner (One company calls it UV Shield). The chemical is cyanuric acid. ANY pool store will know what you are talking about. If you have been using a stabilized chloirine source (trichlor tabs or dichlor granules) then you very possibly have enough or even too much CYA in your water (NOT a good thing!). If you would post a set of test results we can help you much better.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Some places call it stabilizer, some conditioner, and some cyanuric acid. The ingredients list should list cyanuric acid as the primary ingredient.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the tips to all. I am in the process of ordering the tf-100 kit as we speak. This site is such a great resource. I have been been depending on the pool guy at my local Leslies for info. I am now curious if he has been working on commission for the last 3 years judging on the products he has sold me. Thanks for all your help on all my threads i have posted in.
    16x32 IG vinyl
    24000 gallons
    Hayward super pump 1.5HP
    Hayward Pro Series Filter S244T
    3 returns, bottom drain, skimmer

8. Back To Top    #8

But if you have been using tablets, in a floating or some other kind of dispenser, you might already have too much conditioner in your pool.

When you get the TF100 test kit, you can the test to find out.

Randy
    25,000 gal fiberglass pool, Raypak 200k BTU H200FDN gas heater, Pentair CCP520 520 sq ft Cart filter, Max-Flo VS2303VSP pump. iWave wireless remote,

seperate spa, with own pump, cartridge filter, Hayward H200FDN heater