Taking the Plunge! Newbie working on plans for new pool!

Sep 8, 2012
Hello TFP! Brand new to pools, brand new to the forum. Hoping you great folks out here can help to steer me to building the best possible pool.

Fundamental Design Issue(s):
Required: Coverstar auto cover - built under coping
Pool Shape: 20x40 rectangle
Builted in spa: Triac 78"x78"
Material: Vinyl with Steel constuction

Background info: Met with local PB and he informed me that my design wishes will be challenging and doing steps covered with vinyl will become slippery and danergous. The step product would be:
http://www.kafko.com/images/pdf/2012-KF ... ochure.pdf
Pg 9/10

I'm basically interested to know, if in fact this design should not be attempted with a vinyl application. I would really appreciate all honest advice.

Thanks

Attachments

• pool design.JPG
    pool design.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 211
Re: Taking the Plunge! Newbie working on plans for new pool

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

I would not attempt to cover those steps with vinyl. The shape is too complex to get a decent fit and a vinyl manufacturer will charge a billion dollars to attempt it and then, if he is smart, disclaim any warranty on the fit.

My steps are covered with vinyl and they are slippery.

My lines on the steps were all straight lines and the vinyl maker still charged about $500 bucks more because of the complex fit.

Thanks Dave. This is what I've come to understand after a few hours of reading online.

The alternative I'm looking at is then a corner step insert. I guess I'll have to live with that.

Can you comment on whether or not a built in spa can / could be done with a vinyl pool?

You can do the vinyl over step and a manufacturer of liners isn't going to charge extra. Vinyl is sold by the square ft. Been doing vinyl for 30 plous years. I am not familiar with kafko, we build ft wayne, this past spring they came out with a new step product that has a bead reciever built into it for vinyl over steps. This is designed to hold the liner on the step. You can also get a textured vinyl to put on the steps to help with the slippery factor. Won't stop it but it does help. Also would recommend not doing a square corner with vinyl. That is where you will have issues with the liner. Do a 2 or 4 ft radius corner.

Obviously every builder add-on pricing varies, but I have liner over full width(18') stairs and there was zero upcharge for that option. It looks like you are building a higher end pool. IMHO, the drop-in stairs compromise the overall aesthetics of the pool. To me, they appear dis-jointed and disturb the continuity of the liner/shell. Even if there was a cost increase to do add this, I would seriously consider opting for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.