Stabilizer Sock with In-Line Chlorinator

May 28, 2012
When raising CYA, I know it's recommended to place a sock filled with stabilizer in the skimmer basket while operating. Would there be any harm in placing that sock inside an in-line chlorinator? Since moving to BBB, we don't use pucks unless we're on vacation. With all the rain we've had and a small leak found coming from the pump, we've been leeching CYA slowly so I need to go ahead and replenish. More of a curiosity than anything else. Thanks!

While some chemicals (notably Cal-Hypo) are incompatible with Trichlor that may be remaining in the inline chlorinator, that is not true for cyanuric acid or related cyanurate products. However, the sock material is organic so I'd make sure there's no Trichlor in the chlorinator when you put in the sock. It's not so much of a problem when there's a lot of water flow.

chem geek said:
While some chemicals (notably Cal-Hypo) are incompatible with Trichlor that may be remaining in the inline chlorinator, that is not true for cyanuric acid or related cyanurate products. However, the sock material is organic so I'd make sure there's no Trichlor in the chlorinator when you put in the sock. It's not so much of a problem when there's a lot of water flow.

The in line's been running empty for about 2 months now so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'll make sure not to wear the socks after they've been in there though! Thanks chem!

I find the combination of trichlor and CYA in the pucks to be cheaper than using stabilizer and bleach separately.

So, if CYA is low I use my automatic chlorinator and a measured number of pucks to slowly raise it up.

If you do this, watch the TA level for it will lower by about as much as the CYA level rises or so it seems.

anonapersona said:
If you do this, watch the TA level for it will lower by about as much as the CYA level rises or so it seems.
When the Trichlor adds chlorine and CYA, the TA does not change though the pH drops (basically, the CYA is a weak acid so makes up for the TA that would drop from lowering the pH), but when the chlorine that was added gets used/consumed, then the TA drops by about 16% more than the CYA increases so that's pretty much what you've been seeing. If you get the pH up from just aeration, then the net result is a drop in TA over time. If you use a base to raise the pH (say, Borax), then the pH and TA will be restored to where they were plus the small increment from the increase in borates (if you use pH Up, then the TA goes up more).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.