Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stabilizer Sock with In-Line Chlorinator

1. Back To Top    #1

Stabilizer Sock with In-Line Chlorinator

When raising CYA, I know it's recommended to place a sock filled with stabilizer in the skimmer basket while operating. Would there be any harm in placing that sock inside an in-line chlorinator? Since moving to BBB, we don't use pucks unless we're on vacation. With all the rain we've had and a small leak found coming from the pump, we've been leeching CYA slowly so I need to go ahead and replenish. More of a curiosity than anything else. Thanks!
    Jorge - Tampa Bay

• Pool Configuration
      11,000 gallon Stonescapes Mini Carribean Blue
      MX8 Barracuda
      Hayward C1200 Cartridge Filter with a DISABLED 3" In-line Chlorinator
      3/4 hp Jacuzzi Pump
      TFT 100 Testing Kit w/ Speedstir
      Wall Whale Brush / Aqua Comb Filter Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Stabilizer Sock with In-Line Chlorinator

Sounds like a plan to me. I can think of no downside.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I couldn't find a downside either but wasn't sure if anyone else has tried it. Thanks!
    Jorge - Tampa Bay

• Pool Configuration
      MX8 Barracuda
      3/4 hp Jacuzzi Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

While some chemicals (notably Cal-Hypo) are incompatible with Trichlor that may be remaining in the inline chlorinator, that is not true for cyanuric acid or related cyanurate products. However, the sock material is organic so I'd make sure there's no Trichlor in the chlorinator when you put in the sock. It's not so much of a problem when there's a lot of water flow.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    While some chemicals (notably Cal-Hypo) are incompatible with Trichlor that may be remaining in the inline chlorinator, that is not true for cyanuric acid or related cyanurate products. However, the sock material is organic so I'd make sure there's no Trichlor in the chlorinator when you put in the sock. It's not so much of a problem when there's a lot of water flow.
    The in line's been running empty for about 2 months now so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'll make sure not to wear the socks after they've been in there though! Thanks chem!
    Jorge - Tampa Bay

• Pool Configuration
      MX8 Barracuda
      3/4 hp Jacuzzi Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I find the combination of trichlor and CYA in the pucks to be cheaper than using stabilizer and bleach separately.

So, if CYA is low I use my automatic chlorinator and a measured number of pucks to slowly raise it up.

If you do this, watch the TA level for it will lower by about as much as the CYA level rises or so it seems.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    If you do this, watch the TA level for it will lower by about as much as the CYA level rises or so it seems.
    When the Trichlor adds chlorine and CYA, the TA does not change though the pH drops (basically, the CYA is a weak acid so makes up for the TA that would drop from lowering the pH), but when the chlorine that was added gets used/consumed, then the TA drops by about 16% more than the CYA increases so that's pretty much what you've been seeing. If you get the pH up from just aeration, then the net result is a drop in TA over time. If you use a base to raise the pH (say, Borax), then the pH and TA will be restored to where they were plus the small increment from the increase in borates (if you use pH Up, then the TA goes up more).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"